SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#151110 - 09/11/07 06:20 AM G70 question #2
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
I want to start a song with a drum roll and no chord, but I'm using INTELLIGENT arranger mode and ARRANGER HOLD for the rest of the song. How do I not start with a chord? Can I think I can get the drum roll by holding down the var1-4 part I want to use, but is there another method.

If this is in the manual, where did I miss this?

The only answer I THINK works, is to save the style in two locations with some mode variation that will allow just the drums to play at the start, then switch to intelligent mode once the song begins. That is a complicated solution to a simple problem, don't you think?

#151111 - 09/11/07 06:41 AM Re: G70 question #2
zuki Offline

Hi Cass - hope you got some sleep last night

It seems to me you could set all the parameters, ready to go and just press the start button?

zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#151112 - 09/11/07 07:08 AM Re: G70 question #2
cassp Offline

heh, heh, heh... that's so funny. It's probably that simple, but once you READ THE MANUAL you can no longer do that. I usedta coulda (that's Jeff Foxworthy's word), but now I can't.

I want those smilies Fran was using. Where do I get them and how do I upload them to the SZ - oops, that's another question

[This message has been edited by cassp (edited 09-11-2007).]

#151113 - 09/11/07 07:52 AM Re: G70 question #2
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
http://smileys.on-my-web.com/

Use them with caution.....

#151114 - 09/11/07 09:17 AM Re: G70 question #2
montana Offline

Loc: red lodge,mt,usa
We do a number of songs that start with just drums and no auto but maybe what I play. I use the Ibeam to do this and wave my hand over it when I want the auto to kick in.

#151115 - 09/11/07 12:37 PM Re: G70 question #2
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
How are you getting the drum roll at the start? Are you actually playing one, or hitting the note for the drum-roll? So you are using a Drum Kit...? OK, are you using it in the Left side or the Right?

Here's something that will work the way you are doing things now... Set up UPR3 Part to be a Drum Kit, and transpose it's octave down to the point that you can play the note for the drum-roll (Bb). Setup the other UPR Parts to be your regular keyboard sounds. Setup the LWR section to trigger chords like you normally do. Set Sync Start to ON...

Now, hit the note for the drum roll. You could even program the Drum UPR3 volume to be low, so you hit the roll note, hold with sustain pedal, and raise the volume slider for a swell, just like a real drummer! And you can change the RH Part to UPR1 while you are holding the sustain pedal down, and the roll continues! You get the roll ONLY, then start the arranger by playing the first chord. You might also want to set Intro1 to start, which will give you a simple drum count-off or pickup, if you like...

Now, SAVE YOUR UPG... give it a title (either the song, or something like RH Drums, whatever...)

That's ONE way of doing it.....

You might try getting used to using Piano Style Chord Recognition Mode. In this Mode, you don't get a chord trigger until you play three notes or more...

That's ANOTHER way of doing it...

Finally, if this is just one song that needs this treatment, you could reprogram Intro 1 to just be a roll (maybe with a little pick-up at the end to give you a cue) and save as a User Style.

That's another way of doing it...

The thing about the manual is, it is NOT a tutorial (nor do most tutorials cover EVERY possible scenario you might need). Imagine the size of the thing if it had to explain in detail how to do every last thing that anyone could ever want...! The thing is to not shotgun yourself trying to read the entire thing. Break it down into baby steps. Learn a section at a time.

I would suggest making 'How to save a UPG, how to use the Set List, and how to back up my data to a computer' my primary goals...

Then I would read the basic first three chapters.

Then I would work at the Makeup Tools section (to fine-tune the styles the way YOU want them). Then the Recorder/Sequencer (unless you use an external sequencer, if so, just the Recorder).

Then I would spend a LONG time at roland-arranger, reading all the Tips and Tricks section on any topic you might need, along with the rest of the manual (in small chunks).

Just don't try to do it ALL in one go, cassp. And remember this, say it ten times a day... 'This is a Roland. It is NOT a Yamaha (or whatever you had previously). I have to learn the Roland Way...' (If you had a Yamaha, you would have to say the opposite!). Have a little patience, and work methodically, and you will get to where you need.

But don't do that, and no other keyboard will be any less frustrating...

#151116 - 09/11/07 01:28 PM Re: G70 question #2
cassp Offline

Thanks, Diki. I actually understood 99% of that and could visualize the process(es) as I read. I'm surprised that you asked how I was getting the drum roll. I guess that means I just can't start the darn style with a fill-in. Oh well, I thought I could, but I can't so I won't.

#151117 - 09/11/07 01:53 PM Re: G70 question #2
Diki Offline

OK, now I see... A drum-roll is NOT a fill-in. Different problem, then.

First solution... Most styles have a simple count-off or pick-up on Intro 1. Start with Intro 1 selected (sync start) and, depending on the style, you will get a pick-up (short fill). If the style you use only has a count-off, you can copy another Intro 1 from a style that DOES have a nice pick-up fill into your destination style, and save as a User Style.

Just want to start with one of the regular fills? OK, to start with a fill in, you start in another variation, don't have sync start ON, you start the arranger with the Start/Stop Button, then IMMEDIATELY hit the first Variation you need. The fill will play and then you hit the chord on the one (or just slightly ahead, like most arrangers!).

Each time you rehearse this, you have to switch ARR Hold OFF, and then back on, otherwise your last chord played the previous time will still be held, but at a gig, when you select the UPG for the song, this will clear out any prior chord info, so it should start fine.

This do...?

BTW, as much as I enjoy helping you out, I would prefer it if, from now on, we deal with these technical things at roland-arranger.com, so that other Roland users can see the Q&A and add it to their own knowledge when they visit. Here, stuff like this drops off the map too fast and only benefits the few... OK?

Plus there, you have a greater pool of knowledgeable Roland users there, so someone else may have an even easier solution for you...!

I hope this helped.

#151118 - 09/11/07 02:05 PM Re: G70 question #2
cassp Offline

You hit the nail on the head with this answer. That's it. AND, I planned to post both questions at roland-arranger, plus others I come up with. BUT, i will continue to post here also because this is such a unique community of individuals. Thanks again, Diki.

#151119 - 09/11/07 02:29 PM Re: G70 question #2
Diki Offline

I took the liberty of copying some of this thread and posting it at roland-arranger as a Tip and Trick for all to see.

And, as you can see, I post happily at here AND at roland-arranger (plus several others), so no conflict there at all. I just like to keep the technical stuff where it does the most good...

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online