SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#116665 - 07/06/03 09:59 AM Best way to learn...
flatfoot Offline

Loc: sacramento CA
In another thread, I stated that the arranger keyboards that come with song tutorials, light-up keys, etc. were inferior teaching tools. I stated that instructional computer software would be a much better choice for the new player.

Actually, I am no expert. I only really know the products of PG music very well, and I love them.

I wonder if anyone here has experience in both areas. Have you tried "teaching keyboards" as well as piano learning software? Have you used them as a student, or a teacher? I would like to hear your informed opinion of which works best. Also, is there a teaching method specifically for arranger keyboards?

#116666 - 07/06/03 01:08 PM Re: Best way to learn...
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
I have not heard of any teaching software program made specifically for an Arranger Keyboard. I bought a program a couple of years ago or so called Voyetra's Teach Me Piano Deluxe. It was considered at the time from Professionals to Music Teachers alike to be the creme' de la creme' of Piano Teaching software. It is very good for the beginner although a young child may find it too comprehensive and slightly boring. But for adults that are just learning or even those that have had some experience already, it is a great tool with many neat features and learning tips. The program extends all the way up to advanced playing techniques and includes videos, right hand, left hand, and both hand skills. It also includes music related games and there's a section on the history of Pianos and Keyboards from their inception to the present.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 07-06-2003).]

#116667 - 07/07/03 12:31 PM Re: Best way to learn...
jus Offline

Loc: UK
I have been learning to play my PSR 1000 using a good old fashion teach yourself book - The Complete Keyboard Player series by Kenneth Baker. I have just finished book 1.

When I was first thinking of getting a keyboard last October, the DGX 300 was at the top of my list. With all its integrated teaching aids and songs to learn I definitely thought it was the model for me.

However when I was looking in my local music shop the general opinion was to go for a better sounding board which will last longer than one packed with learning tools which I will out grow.

I have to say now that I agree with them and I stretched my budget and got the PSR1000. Its a great keyboard.

At 36 I thought learning to play an instrument would be impossible, but it is not. It has been a real joy. As has reading the posts on this forum!

Jus

#116668 - 07/07/03 02:07 PM Re: Best way to learn...
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Flatfoot,
The remarks by Jus are right on. Go for sound quality over the silly teaching tools. There is nothing worse then trying to practice (even doing scales) on an instrument that sounds so bad you can't continue. A flute that sounds like a vacuum cleaner blowing through whistles. A piano that sounds like thumb tacks falling on rusted quitar strings.
Unfortunately, the only tutorials that I've found are for piano, not arranger keyboards. So I'm learning piano, in the hope that the skills are transferrable. An arranger is played very much like an organ (for solo performance). Chords in the left hand, melody in the right hand.
Starkeeper

#116669 - 07/07/03 02:28 PM Re: Best way to learn...
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Man I wish I could sit down and learn to actually read and understand music. I have been playing for over 20 years, but I'm self taught. I've tried to teach myself with theory books and so forth, but I must have some sort of disability when it comes to it. I just do better without it.. I'd still love to learn though.. I've always wanted to be able to pick up sheet music and just play.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#116670 - 07/07/03 03:45 PM Re: Best way to learn...
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
IMHO, there is no substitute to learning from a real live piano teacher. I am 48 years old starting JAZZ lessons for the 1st time. I have been playing keyboards for over 20 years, but I finally put my nose to the grindstone and started weekly lessons. I can't tell you how much better it is than trying to learn it on your own.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online