SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#114660 - 12/05/02 07:23 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hi Brian: Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that EV is going to take care of you (despite all the hassle). Happy giging this holiday season. Let us know the final outcome. - Scott

#114661 - 02/04/04 11:39 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
rintincop Offline

Are you still using them? Have you heard powered 12" cbinest that sounded better? (better as in warmer with greater clarity)

I am on a quest to try to decide between FBT, Yorkville, Mackie, JBL and EV.

I want a powered 10" speaker cabinet, as my current Mackie SRM 450 are louder and bulkier than I ever need, They lack the detail and warmth I want for my digital piano, which I play in acoutsic combos.

#114662 - 02/05/04 05:03 AM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Dnj Offline

www.barbetta.com

Sona 32c

Ive had them without a problem almost 2 yrs enjoy....

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

#114663 - 02/05/04 07:19 AM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by rintincop:
Are you still using them (EV SxA100) ?

Yep, and I continue very happy with them (for over 2 years).

Quote:
Originally posted by rintincop:

Have you heard powered 12" cbinest that sounded better? (better as in warmer with greater clarity).

Haven't performed any direct A/B comparisons with other 12" cabinets lately, but the important features I continue to appreciate about the SxA100's is its ez to carry ergonomic shape and 'balanced' weight distribution. The other self powered PAs I auditioned were more awkward (slippery or boxy) to transport. Previously I too had purchased a pair of Mackie SRM450's and after just one weekend, and a thrown back, I returned them for the SxA100's (Dec 2001) and haven't regretted that decision. The thing I especially appreciate about the EVs is its smooth warm, but most importantly, natural (not hyped) sound, which is especially critical for acoustic vocals & piano. My only complaint is the very low level background hiss. In a very quiet studio, not acceptable, but for all gig venues, it's never detected and has NEVER been a problem. The hiss is not amplified, so when the volume level is raised to even sub normal levels for an average room, the hiss is NEVER detected.

Another option you might consider is the Motion Sound KP200S or KP100S all in one unit stereo PA amp: http://motion-sound.com/keypro_amplifiers.htm

I utilize the KP100S for my smaller venues, and as an on stage monitor for larger gigs, and happy with it's sound and convenient transport & setup: http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/006415.html

- Scott

------------------
http://scottyee.com

#114664 - 02/05/04 11:05 AM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
rintincop Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
...ez to carry ergonomic shape and 'balanced' weight distribution. The other self powered PAs I auditioned were more awkward (slippery or boxy) to transport. Previously I too had purchased a pair of Mackie SRM450's and after just one weekend, and a thrown back, I returned them for the SxA100's (Dec 2001) and haven't regretted that decision. The thing I especially appreciate about the EVs is its smooth warm, but most importantly, natural (not hyped) sound, which is especially critical for acoustic vocals & piano. My only complaint is the very low level background hiss. In a very quiet studio, not acceptable, but for all gig venues, it's never detected and has NEVER been a problem. The hiss is not amplified, so when the volume level is raised to even sub normal levels for an average room, the hiss is NEVER detected.

You are speaking directly to my needs,
a) easy to move
b) smooth, warm, natural (not hyped) sound, for piano

Thanks Scott!

rintincop

[This message has been edited by rintincop (edited 02-05-2004).]

#114665 - 02/05/04 07:39 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
My Roland Keyboard Cube 100's...I've had them for over 18 years...You can't buy my original pair at any price..I do have an extra unit I picked up a couple years ago[it has a mickey mouse horn instead of the Roland equipped horn and tweeter] someday I will get around to bringing it up to parr...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online