SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#98791 - 02/02/04 11:47 AM Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
I just discovered a strange problem connected with the new Yamaha "ArrangerWorkstation.Com" website, http://arrangerworkstation.com
which has affected my computer.

When I joined the the "ArrangerWorkstation.Com" on January 11, 2004, an html file called 'viewforum' was automatically created and placed in my Windows XP: C:> Documents & Settings > Local Settings > 'Temporary Internet Files' folder. I was able to figure out that this file has something to do with the "ArrangerWorkstation.Com" website because when obtaining the properties of this file, it shows it's internet address as: http://arrangerworkstation.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2

When I run Norton System Work's ' Web Cleanup' utility to cleanup/delete my computer's temporary internet files , it comes back stating that this specific (cached) file 'viewforum' contains an error. The Web Cleanup Utility attempts to repair/remove it, but can't. I then go into the 'temporary internet files' folder and try to remove the file manually , but when I attempt to delete it by dragging it to the 'recyle bin' (trash) , I just get the Windows message: "Cannot delete file. Cannot read from the source file or disk".

Also, I ran all other Norton SystemWorks Utilities (AntiVirus with lastest virus def updates, etc) and everything comes up clean.

1. Does anybody have any idea what the purpose of the file 'viewforum' is for?

2. Is it actually required in order to sign onto the: "ArrangerWorkstation.Com" website?

3. How can I delete this file?

Thanks in advance for advice and feedback.

Scott

#98792 - 02/02/04 11:53 AM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Catsailor Offline

Scott,

Try this. Right click on the C: drive. Select Properties. This will bring up a screen with a pie chart of your C drive distribution and there will be a Cleanup button displayed to the right. Click on this button. A selection screen will come up. Make sure the box marked temporary internet files is checked. Run the program. This may work. I ran it over the weekend to clean up all of my old and not needed files. It did a good job.

Peter

#98793 - 02/02/04 12:20 PM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Peter, Many thanks for both your QUICK response and providing the ez solution to the problem. I ran the disk cleanup utility per your instructions and the offending file is now gone! I'm quickly learning that the best way to solve WindowsXP problems is to just use the built in Microsoft WindowsXP utilities rather than rely on 3rd party utilities like Norton's. Thanks again. - Scott

#98794 - 02/03/04 05:33 AM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Dnj Offline

I need help also on this ....

on Xp pro when I try to do a disk cleanup> Cdrive>properties>disk cleanup> it says this might take a few minutes....3 green dashes appear in the activity line while its scanning, and after you wait & wait nothing else ever happens to complete the process?

any ideas whats wrong?

#98795 - 02/03/04 09:20 AM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Catsailor Offline

Donny,

It does take quite a while for the disk cleanup to run. I think it depends on what items in the listing are checked and how much you have that needs to be cleaned up. My laptop took about 30-45 minutes giving me back about 14 Mb of free space. My son ran the program on the PC and it took about an hour. He commented on how long it was taking. I think it is just a long process. Just start it and go off and do something else. Nothing moves fast in the world of Microsoft!

Peter

#98796 - 02/03/04 09:46 AM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Dnj Offline

Thanx Peter....mayb thats the solution.....its a big hard drive 80mb

#98797 - 02/03/04 10:18 AM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
I had forgotten about Disk Cleanup and it is a great tool. But, Donny, you gotta be patient. I have 40 gigs and it took over 30 minutes.

I clicked on Temp files and Temp Internet files...but was leary about clicking on downloaded program files. Is that safe or not?
Eddie

#98798 - 02/03/04 12:20 PM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Disk cleanup on Windows XP may take some time depending on the speed of your computer and also on other factors. But if you have a speedy computer and there are no other glitches your experiencing with your OS or other PC problems it should complete lickity split. As an example I recently ran Disk Cleanup with all options checked and it completed in about 5 seconds. Of course I've got a speedy computer and my computer is running optimally. Your mileage may vary depending on your computer and also on how many clean up files are there to clean up. But for it to take a half hour to an hour or longer sounds very suspicious. Unless your running below a 166 Mhz CPU and your RAM is bare minimum (plus you have other obsolete related hardware) then disk cleanup should complete fairly quickly. PS: Software glitches and other hardware or software conflicts could be the main reason why your Disk Cleanup utility is taking so long also. > > Disabling Anti-Virus software may help speed things up too.

Also you don't have to worry about checking "Downloaded Program Files" Eddie. Those files (if any) are in a temporary folder and are temporary files not the specific program[s] itself.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 02-03-2004).]

#98799 - 02/03/04 12:57 PM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Chris A Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ,
Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
I need help also on this ....

on Xp pro when I try to do a disk cleanup> Cdrive>properties>disk cleanup> it says this might take a few minutes....3 green dashes appear in the activity line while its scanning, and after you wait & wait nothing else ever happens to complete the process?

any ideas whats wrong?

DNJ. This is a known issue in XP (same thing happened to me about a year ago). Depending on the nature of the crash here are the two fixes from Microsoft. :

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823302
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;812248

The second one solved everything in my case.

Good luck
Chris

[This message has been edited by Chris A (edited 02-03-2004).]

#98800 - 02/03/04 06:36 PM Re: Help! Unable to delete a specific PC 'Temporary Internet' File !
Dnj Offline

Chris.....you da man!!!!

I tried the first fix you listed and it worked perfectly on XP pro....Now the Disk cleanup works again ..thanx so much!!!

------------------
www.donnypesce.com

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 02-03-2004).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online