SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#114650 - 11/18/02 09:59 AM EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
brought the suspect speaker in to the service contractor today...he plugged it in and thought it was as he put it "just a low end EV speaker symptom"...Huh? He then proceeded to try and tell me in nice terms that these powered speakers are EV's attempt to offer their high end sound in a low budget package, and they didn't do a very good job of it. At this point, I was ready to just walk out, but a funny thing happened...it was as if he realized he was thinking out loud...kinda shrugged his shoulders and made 2-3 phone calls. I noticed a new Sxa100 on top of his speaker mountain against the wall, and got an associate to fetch it and plug it in...as suspected..no buzz..like my other one at home. he then got 3 speaker technicians to come in, and they all said it was probably a bad amp. They discribed it as dirty AC sounding...not buzz. Anyhow, they called EV and a new amp is on the way. If that doesn't work, it' off to Sam Ash for a replacement. I brought it back home with me and will use it for practice and set up as the noise does not get louder with volume..but it is very noticeable inside of 15 feet with a quiet room. Kinda sucks though...not the beginning I was looking for with my new set-up. Oh well, looks like I drew the short stick in our group this time around. Interesting side note, all of the techs said they prefer the G2 EOns to the mackie 450 and the EV's. My guess is they have double the watts..and that was their preference...boosting the most noise...I mean music...into the atmosphere. Anyhow..That's it Cheers brian

#114651 - 11/18/02 10:17 AM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Brian,
Thanks for your latest update in your continuing hummmmmmmmmmm saga. I trust that your amp replacement will work without a hitch. I too had auditioned the JBL Eon G2's, as well as the Mackie SRM450s. The PRIMARY reason I chose the SxA100's over the other two, was for it's much better ergonomic shape & balance,compared to the the other two. When you have to transport, setup/breakdown a lot, size matters. The SxA100's sound may not be the VERY BEST sounding out there, but it's pretty close.

Brian, keep us posted when your replacement unt arrives. - Scott

#114652 - 11/18/02 01:07 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I was about to post about the humming when I came across this thread. A newer member here just bought a pair. I spoke with him on the phone this morning. It seems the hissing as he described it, bothered him also. And he did mention that he wasn't satisified with the bottom end, but he did admit that he is used to 15" speakers and an 18" sub-woofer in his 5 piece band.

I almost ordered the SxA 100's today. But I'm going to return the Samson and sit tight.

I like the sound of my Peavey 15" TLS5 speakers. I just don't like carrying them around. Only 43 lbs but kind of big for moving around and I really hate having to fool with the cables and a mixer etc. I like the all in one aspect of a combined unit.

If Donny and Scott still like their stuff later down the line, I'll reconsider. It'd be different if I could get them for $349 each. But $1000 for a pair is making me nervous with all of the humming and hissing problems.

when I get something I'm giong to have to keep it. I'm still trying to get a gig.

#114653 - 11/18/02 01:15 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
B2 Offline

Brick....the hissing is all part of the design. It is perfectly normal. In fact, once you get them up on the poles and step 10 feet away, you can't hear it any more and it in no way effects the sound. The tech guy today was suprised they hissed so much..but said the sound that comes from the speakers is fine. The hum business that I had in mine is the only one of record on this forum...bad luck I guess. I wouldn't be too put off by all this. The sonic quality of these are really nice. of course, it depends on what you want to use them for. if you're planning on blasting them for ear piercing rock and roll numbers with chest pounding bass parts,...I would recommend another speaker. I bought the mackie 1501 subwoofer to complement my EV's and help out with the bass stuff. Together, they really do a great job. Good luck. Brian

#114654 - 11/18/02 01:22 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Hey Boo, just to let you know that I've owned & gigged out regularly with my EVs for almost a solid year and I'm still totally satisfied with the SxA100's. NO buzz at all, and whatever low hiss there is, it's NOT perceivable in a normal performance setting. You'd probably hear a pin drop before noticing the hiss. Boo: The sooner you get decent PA speakers the sooner you'll land & hold a gig because believe it or not, no matter how much music talent you got, the sound quality of your PA system can make/break a gig engagement. I know, I've been there. Scott

#114655 - 11/18/02 04:21 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Hey Boo,
.........Bartetta's are callin ya !

#114656 - 11/18/02 07:00 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Dave, Scott you guys already sold me on the EV's. But I think I'll wait until Donny does at least 30 or 40 more gigs and check him out then. That shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks or so.

I'd like to here more about the hissing problem. With my luck I'll have them for 31 days and then they will hiss louder than everyone else's. If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Can anyone here explain why my 50 watt Rogue Roller PA plays louder at half mast then the Samson playes wide open. The Samson is supposed to be 200 watts. It makes no sense to me.

Hey Graham, you're somewhat of a sound engineer aren't you? Do you have an explanation you could give using brick for an illustration?

You guys just jump around so much I may have to take more brick jobs to half way keep up with you..
Boo

#114657 - 11/18/02 07:22 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
There is NO hissing problem ... just a slight ammount of hiss built into the sound floor. It's really not an issue. The earlier topic was referring to a BAD amp, or some other defect. The small amount of hiss in a fully funtional SXa100 is NOT a problem worth complaining about in a live setting.

Are they "studio monitors" No way ....
But on stage, they shine !

#114658 - 11/27/02 05:57 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
B2 Offline

OK, Brought the speakers into the fixit man today as the new AMP was shipped in finally. He calls me 4 hours later and says...all done , you can pick it up tonight. I said" great, the hum is all gone, bad amp eh?...he says...I don't know, I didn't plug it in to check it!!!! YGTBSM!!
This is supposed to be a reputable place. I guess he figured it had to be a bad module and assumed the new part fixed it. I asked him to plug it in (ya know, if it's not to much of a bother mind you...I mean, don't interupt anything important like your reefer break or anything like that....MORON)and if the funny hum sound was gone, I would pick it up Friday...Never asked if he had a power cord to plug it in.....anyhow, it appears, that in spite of their (fixit dude)best efforts, that the EV support crew came through and everything should be hunky dory....Just in time for next Friday...phew...Happy Thanks giving everyone!!! Brian

#114659 - 12/05/02 07:04 PM Re: EV Sxa 100 Update 2.....the hum saga
B2 Offline

Bumping this because I forgot my pass word. Actually, Update 3...alas, the new amp in the EVSxa100 did NOT fix the problem. The shop called EV and they said that we should check the placement of the amp and another item in the guts because some have been incorrectly put too close together resulting in a hum in some speakers. I brought the EV home because I need it for 2 Christmas Parties this weekend. I set it up to tweak it today and it really sounded great despite the low hum...kinda like the hiss...you don't even notice it. However, It's getting returned for a new one next week...I mean, it is a known flaw, so why should I have to accept a sub standard speaker right out of the box...I know EV will fix it, but I don't want a fixed one, I payed for a new one...anyhow, just wanted to let you know, the hum doesn't effect the speakers at all...they really sounded great today...Cheers Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online