SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#114271 - 12/03/02 06:48 AM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Tony: Wow! - I just started knocking around "Fool On the Hill" rhumba-style in my head and you're right - that has great potential! Mmmm, a tasty new new tune to snack on... I already do "Yesterday" but in a more traditional manner - I'll try giving that a slow bossa nova treatment and chew on it, but I always found that song depressing. Never was crazy about "Michelle" either, but "Fool" has wood to it... I feel a "stuck in my head all day" thing coming on... thanks!

#114272 - 12/03/02 08:39 AM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
Micco Offline

Loc: Finland
I am sorry, I donīt have any smooth jazz styles for Technics KN6000. I have only a few for Yamaha PSR9000.

Does anyone of you like Kenny G, Candy Dulfer, Najee, Dave Koz, Boney James or George Howard?

What about David Benoit?

#114273 - 12/03/02 09:02 AM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Not a fan of Kenny, Candy ok, the rest are in my collection in one form or another (dedicated cd, compilation CDs, promos, etc.)

Who is the luckiest sax player alive???
Ans: Kenny G!!!

#114274 - 12/03/02 10:17 AM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
And who remembers a group called "Stuff"? How about Richard Tee? Earl Klugh? And the Crusaders with Larry Carlton? I don't have the chops/skills to develop professional-sounding styles. However, I wish the programmers would give us a larger selection of groove-type styles that represent much of what is reflected on this thread.

#114275 - 12/03/02 12:18 PM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
If you explore the house, jip-hop, funky etc styles .... you'll find that lots of these are the basis for the smooth jazz style.
Around Philly we have a terrific "real" jazz station from my Alma Mater ( Temple U )and many people don't buy into the "smooth" concept as jazz at all. Still...it's pleasing to the ear and there are lots of pretty, melodic interpretations to sample.

Is "Smooth" jazz really jazz? Who knows. That's a topic for another day, but the basic rhythms are pretty modern in concept. It's just the sounds that keep it smooth I think. Lots of electric pianos, thick pads, and solo wind instruments. Not too many irritating guitar leads or harsh sax honking. It's eazy on the ears.

#114276 - 12/03/02 12:57 PM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
tony mads usa Offline

UD ... as I said in an earlier post above, I really enjoyed that jazz station out of Temple when I worked in that area in '92 ...
As far as 'smooth jazz' being 'real jazz', not in my mind, but that doesn't lessen my taste for the good smooth stuff ..... I just get pi**ed when I'm listening to something like CD 101.9 and their "SMOOTH - JAZZ" promo comes on and leads into the intro of some Celine (AAARRRRGGHHHH) Dion song.....
t.

#114277 - 12/03/02 05:33 PM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
Uncle Dave Offline

Tony,
They even play Rod Stewart in our "Smooth jazz" station........right - he's a jazzer.

#114278 - 12/04/02 06:29 AM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
tony mads usa Offline

UD .. Your station must subscribe to the same package as 101.9 .... I like what they play (most of the time), but just DON'T call it JAZZ ... smooth or otherwise .....
t.

#114279 - 12/04/02 06:57 AM Re: For a modern flavor ...............
Uncle Dave Offline

EXACTLY ! Most of the time, I DO enjoy the material, but it AIN'T jazz, my friend!
Maybe it's a jazz "primer" or something .... gets people into the spirit of a more instumental approach. Who knows?
It wears thin on me after a while, but the real jazz station could play all day and I'd never tire of it.............unless of course, they get into an Ornett Coleman tribute ... then I'd have trouble.
(there's ALWAYS something ....)

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online