If you ever listen to the "Smooth Jazz" stations that are all over the air these days, you'll find that many popular songs are finding their way into this psuedo-morphed genre by simply re-recording the songs with a fresher, more modern beat.

Try taking some standard or classic songs that people respond to from your repertoire and adding a newer drum beat .... like a hip hop (for example)Don't make it nuts ... just add a more movin', happenin' beat and play the song with THAT style ... it'll freshen up your playlist, keep you from getting bored and maybe even spark some new ideas.

Especially at Christmas time - this can be a great tool for expanding your repertoire. Try The "Christmas Song" with a funky 16 beat or easy hip hop pattern .... it lays SO nice in that style. I even do the "Christmas Waltz" in a swing 4/4 sometimes ...... it's weird singing "....in 3 quarter time ...." when I'm in 4, buy hey ! I have poetic liscence !
Merry Christmas everyone !