SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114150 - 10/17/06 06:40 AM ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

#114151 - 10/17/06 07:32 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny:

Check out this review from PC World. Bit Defender is compared with Norton and 3 other products:
http://pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html

Personally I use NOD32 from http://www.eset.com as my antivirus program. There's not a lot of overhead to the product, so it doesn't slow down system performance like many security suites have a tendency to do.

#114152 - 10/17/06 07:51 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Stephen....
This NOD looks interesting never heard of it I'll check it out before I decide.....
I also read about Bit defender #1 in Consumer reports thats why I asked.

BTW can I run it on two computers in the hopuse or do you have to buy it twice?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-17-2006).]

#114153 - 10/17/06 08:01 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny:

Check your e-mail.

#114154 - 10/17/06 08:08 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
Which is the best depends on what test you use, for instance the tests used by PC World puts Bit Defender top and Norton Bottom, whereas other magazines put Norton towards the top and Bit Defender towards the bottom.
Another magazine put Zone Alarm Security suite top and Norton second, however when I tried the Zone Alarm, for me personally I found it to be total crap. (Just the firewall is absolutely brilliant)
My best advice is to download the trial versions and see which one suits you. (Make sure you do not have more than one on your system at a time)
With all of them, make sure you install Windows Defender, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy, making sure you run the last 2 at least weekly. (Windows Defender is proactive, so everything is automatic)
Another important point is to make sure you keep them up-to-date. (The same with Windows)
If you use Firefox, this is absolutely essential as the security in Firefox is a joke.
Hope this helps

Bill

#114155 - 10/17/06 08:21 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use AVG. It's free and works great. I also use Zonealarm firewall for the same reasons.
DonM

#114156 - 10/17/06 08:30 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

AVG is what caused the problems on my other PC FREE stinks!!!

Bill thanx its all so confusing isnt there just one that does it ALL????

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-17-2006).]

#114157 - 10/17/06 08:53 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I use AVG. It's free and works great. I also use Zonealarm firewall for the same reasons.
DonM

I use AVG on all of my computers, right now, we are running 5 and never had a problem with it since it came out, you have to update the files Dnj like you have to do with all of them....Norton sucks IMHO, I have had mucho problems with it that is why I switched in the first place....
TR

#114158 - 10/17/06 09:15 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Norton, McAfee both became cumbersome or problematic on two of my computers. McAfee Online was also automatically billing me for renewal without notice. Trying to contact someone at McAfee who could cancel the account became impossible. I filed a disputed charge claim with my credit card company and they resolved it.

AVG has been excellent. Very user friendly, updated frequently and FREE.
Eddie

#114159 - 10/17/06 10:29 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Donny:
Check out this review from PC World. Bit Defender is compared with Norton and 3 other products:
http://pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html
Personally I use NOD32 from http://www.eset.com as my antivirus program. There's not a lot of overhead to the product, so it doesn't slow down system performance like many security suites have a tendency to do.

This IS confusing ... like keyboards, what satisfies one user doesn't necessarily satisfy another ...

Steve ... what do you use to protect the PCs at work?

We use Norton in the office, and I use McAfee at home ... I'm afraid to say it, but no problems either place ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-17-2006).]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online