SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#114150 - 10/17/06 06:40 AM ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

#114151 - 10/17/06 07:32 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Donny:

Check out this review from PC World. Bit Defender is compared with Norton and 3 other products:
http://pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html

Personally I use NOD32 from http://www.eset.com as my antivirus program. There's not a lot of overhead to the product, so it doesn't slow down system performance like many security suites have a tendency to do.

#114152 - 10/17/06 07:51 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Stephen....
This NOD looks interesting never heard of it I'll check it out before I decide.....
I also read about Bit defender #1 in Consumer reports thats why I asked.

BTW can I run it on two computers in the hopuse or do you have to buy it twice?

[This message has been edited by Dnj (edited 10-17-2006).]

#114153 - 10/17/06 08:01 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Stephenm52 Offline

Donny:

Check your e-mail.

#114154 - 10/17/06 08:08 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hello Dnj
Which is the best depends on what test you use, for instance the tests used by PC World puts Bit Defender top and Norton Bottom, whereas other magazines put Norton towards the top and Bit Defender towards the bottom.
Another magazine put Zone Alarm Security suite top and Norton second, however when I tried the Zone Alarm, for me personally I found it to be total crap. (Just the firewall is absolutely brilliant)
My best advice is to download the trial versions and see which one suits you. (Make sure you do not have more than one on your system at a time)
With all of them, make sure you install Windows Defender, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy, making sure you run the last 2 at least weekly. (Windows Defender is proactive, so everything is automatic)
Another important point is to make sure you keep them up-to-date. (The same with Windows)
If you use Firefox, this is absolutely essential as the security in Firefox is a joke.
Hope this helps

Bill

#114155 - 10/17/06 08:21 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I use AVG. It's free and works great. I also use Zonealarm firewall for the same reasons.
DonM

#114156 - 10/17/06 08:30 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

AVG is what caused the problems on my other PC FREE stinks!!!

Bill thanx its all so confusing isnt there just one that does it ALL????

#114157 - 10/17/06 08:53 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Tony Rome Offline

Loc: Cozumel Mexico
Quote:
Originally posted by DonM:
I use AVG. It's free and works great. I also use Zonealarm firewall for the same reasons.
DonM

I use AVG on all of my computers, right now, we are running 5 and never had a problem with it since it came out, you have to update the files Dnj like you have to do with all of them....Norton sucks IMHO, I have had mucho problems with it that is why I switched in the first place....
TR

#114158 - 10/17/06 09:15 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Norton, McAfee both became cumbersome or problematic on two of my computers. McAfee Online was also automatically billing me for renewal without notice. Trying to contact someone at McAfee who could cancel the account became impossible. I filed a disputed charge claim with my credit card company and they resolved it.

AVG has been excellent. Very user friendly, updated frequently and FREE.
Eddie

#114159 - 10/17/06 10:29 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Stephenm52:
Donny:
Check out this review from PC World. Bit Defender is compared with Norton and 3 other products:
http://pcworld.com/article/124475-1/article.html
Personally I use NOD32 from http://www.eset.com as my antivirus program. There's not a lot of overhead to the product, so it doesn't slow down system performance like many security suites have a tendency to do.

This IS confusing ... like keyboards, what satisfies one user doesn't necessarily satisfy another ...

Steve ... what do you use to protect the PCs at work?

We use Norton in the office, and I use McAfee at home ... I'm afraid to say it, but no problems either place ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-17-2006).]

#114160 - 10/17/06 11:14 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Stephenm52 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by tony mads usa:
This IS confusing ... like keyboards, what satisfies one user doesn't necessarily satisfy another ...

Steve ... what do you use to protect the PCs at work?

We use Norton in the office, and I use McAfee at home ... I'm afraid to say it, but no problems either place ...

t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 10-17-2006).]

Tony:

You hit the nail on the head with your comment "confusing like keyboards."

We use Symantec Enterprise Edition a.k.a Norton. The Enterprise Edition is a different animal altogether and does the job very well. The Norton Security Suite sold at retail has so much going on with it i.e. firewall, spyware intrusion protection, phishing that it trips over itself and can slow a system down. I still have a couple of systems at home that are running strictly the Norton antivirus not the security suite they have not been a problem but when my subscription expires I'm probably moving them to NOD32.

As abacus has said
Quote:

With all of them, make sure you install Windows Defender, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy

It's got to the point where the average computer user almost has to have a degree in internet security.

#114161 - 10/17/06 12:44 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

man Im confused

my pcs came with the FREE AVG..I also use Spysweeper & Ad-aware weekly....so far no problems

My kids shut off ANG for two weeks and bang it got infected big time with 44 viruses Trojan generic ones which created major pop-ups that dont stop....Ive tried to clean it out but forgettaboutit.....

looks like I'll have to get my tech to reformat their PC and start again...

Anyone using the PAID VERSIN of AVG wont it bet even better? although it has low ratings?

#114162 - 10/17/06 01:13 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
dani_76_es Offline

Loc: Madrid,España
hi!
I recommend you Bitdefender 9 profesional Plus.Before i had Norton and Panda.Bitdefender is the best for me.

#114163 - 10/17/06 01:26 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

thanx dani...many people rave about
BIT DEFENDER also....thanx

#114164 - 10/17/06 01:51 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Hello Dnj
Don’t Panic, just follow the instructions below.
1. Physically disconnect the computer from the internet
2. Run AVG making sure you set it to do a full system scan (You may find that AVG resets part way through the process, just restart it again with a fresh system scan, it may take a few goes)
3. Run both your Spyware programs, setting them to a full system scan.
4. Delete all temporary internet files, (Including offline files) cookies and temporary history files
5. Run Windows disc cleanup and make sure the boxes for temporary files are ticked.
6. Make sure your firewall is fully active
7. Reconnect to the internet and download the latest definition files for AVG, and do another full system scan
8. Download the latest definitions for your spyware programs, and run a full system scan
9. Download and install the programs that I mentioned in my previous posts, and do a full system scan with these
10. Run a disk check on your main drive. (Set to automatically fix errors)
11. When you feel the computer is running correctly, delete your system restore files, and create a new system restore point.
Your computer should now be clear of infections so they can get back to using it.
Finally setup a new administrator account and password protect it, and make sure only you know the password.
Change their account to a power user, and from your administrator account adjust the security settings to deny access to the security software for anyone other then administrators. (This will prevent them from turning any security features off)
Hope this helps

Bill

#114165 - 10/17/06 02:19 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Bill thanx Im trying your suggestions if I can as we speak with fingers crossed.

#114166 - 10/17/06 02:31 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I've been running AVG on two desktops and two laptops, never had a problem of any kind, and since switching to AVG and Mozilla Firefox I have not been infected with anything in three years.

And, there's a computer geek show on the radio down here every Thursday that said "If you want the most comprehensive virus scanner, AVG is the absolute best.My company rates AVG much higher than Norten, McAfee and several others touted as the best." This comes from a guy that fixes computers every hour of every day, and sells the software.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114167 - 10/17/06 04:05 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
ChuckHall Offline

Loc: Bozeman, MT USA
I'll have to go with Don and Gary here. I've been running AVG Free for a few years now with no problems. It updates almost daily.

#114168 - 10/17/06 04:21 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

then why does AVG have a few pay ver too? is it better? whats missing for free?
http://www3.grisoft.com/doc/1/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

#114169 - 10/17/06 04:26 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckHall:
I'll have to go with Don and Gary here. I've been running AVG Free for a few years now with no problems. It updates almost daily.

I have to agree with the others. I have been running AVG for over a year with no issues and it beats Norton hands down.

#114170 - 10/17/06 05:12 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Free AVG found these ....

Gerneric2 .KMB
Generic2.MUZ
Klone Virus ( on about 15 .dll files
Java Byte Verify

40 in all....it only healed 1.....
the rest 39 went to the Virus vault.

#114171 - 10/17/06 05:44 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
You can delete the ones in the vault. However, it's best to leave them there temporarily, just to be sure that there are not files that appeared to be a virus, but in reality may have been essential to a program. Those kind of things can and do happen with all virus scanners, spyware and other computer cleaning programs.

If all your programs continue to work OK, then delete the vaulted files and they're gone. While they're in the vault they cannot effect your computer's operation.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#114172 - 10/17/06 06:47 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

thanx gary for the advice we'll see what happpens...................

#114173 - 10/17/06 07:08 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
RyanS Offline

Loc: Jackson, MO, USA
Another AVG Free user here. Been using it for 4 years now. I use it at work, at home, I installed it on my grandma's PC. The school district switched to it because it picked up a virus that Norton missed. I'm certainly not implying that Norton is inferior. However, AVG doesn't eat up resources and is not bloated like Norton.

#114174 - 10/17/06 11:07 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Hello Dnj
If it’s in the vault its safe
I have AVG Free on my Laptop, and we also recommend it to domestic customers, (For most people it is fine) however it does have a limited range of Scanning Modes, and it is not as proactive (Stopping viruses getting in the first place) as the paid for security suites, (It also has issues with Networks) this is why there is a paid for version of AVG, which does not have any of the scanning modes disabled.
Regarding Norton; since the 2005 version it is now efficient with system resources, and so causes a minimal. Performance hit on the computer.
I have Norton installed on my main machines, (They are all networked) with the exception of Windows Vista, which has PC Cillin. (The only one that currently works with Vista)
BTW The latest MacAfee programs really eat up system resources.
Hope this helps

Bill

#114175 - 10/17/06 11:22 PM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
jamman Offline

Loc: City of Angels in the golden s...
my vote goes for NOD32.

#114176 - 10/18/06 01:44 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
I've got 2 PC's.

One runs XP, and has MacAfee Internet Security installed. In general this is unobtrusive but I've de-installed the Spam Filtering; it's a real resource hogger when you fire up Outlook and not stunningly accurate; I can do just as well using Outlook Rules. Prior to this I used Norton AntiVirus, which worked fine but definately hit performance.

My other machine runs Win98 that I use primarily as a fix / diagnostic platform; thats been running the free versions of AVG and ZoneAlarm for over a year. I can share the hard disc and so virus scan it using the MAcAfee system over my network, this may be slow but so far MacAfee has not identified anything on the Win98 machine that had not already been identified and quarantined by AVG.

I think the commercial AVG system adds anti-spyware and maybe firewall functionality, but I might be wrong!

#114177 - 10/18/06 02:26 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
NOD32.
i use it since last av, kaspersky did me wrong.
i've never had any virus or add,spy -ware going thru this one and i use it since march this year.
it is upgrading every day to their home virus database, so you're never behind.
easy to use.

#114178 - 10/18/06 04:45 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Subject: how to delete these viruses...

Question
"Hi, i ran a viruses scan using AVg free edition today and found that some files were infected but they cannot be deleted.
the status of the files are
trojan horse downloader. Generic2 KMB and they are embeded. 5 other files are Virus identified java/byteverify

Answer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The best way to delete the infected file would be deleting it from safe mode. If you are not able to delete the identified file, remove the attrib from DOS mode.

-s -h -r would remove the attribs. If you have Windows XP, you can also delete it from Recovery console.. "

Anyone know if this works?

#114179 - 10/18/06 05:32 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
abacus Offline

Hello Dnj
You will definitely be able to remove them using recovery console, but try the others first, as unless you are familiar with recovery console it can be a bit daunting, as it all has to be done through the command line.
You will also need to know the exact path of the file to use recovery console effectively. (E.g. C\My Documents\ Music\ Dnj\virus.exe)
Hope this helps

Bill

#114180 - 10/18/06 08:06 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

HI Bill.....I definitely will not try this heheheh.....I have to bring the pC in for a new bigger 250G HD......so I'll get it all fixed, reformatted and working right again in the shop.....& make sure the AVG is always on and updated for the kids.

#114181 - 10/18/06 08:19 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Tony Rome Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:

Subject: how to delete these viruses...

Question
"Hi, i ran a viruses scan using AVg free edition today and found that some files were infected but they cannot be deleted.
the status of the files are
trojan horse downloader. Generic2 KMB and they are embeded. 5 other files are Virus identified java/byteverify

Answer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The best way to delete the infected file would be deleting it from safe mode. If you are not able to delete the identified file, remove the attrib from DOS mode.

-s -h -r would remove the attribs. If you have Windows XP, you can also delete it from Recovery console.. "

Anyone know if this works?

DONNY, I LOVE YA BROTHER...however, PLEASE,
PLEASE, don't send me any e-mails or attachments until you get it FIXED..hehehehe
TR

#114182 - 10/18/06 08:59 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Guys forget what PC polls say..AVG rules..My laptops have been running the free version for over 5 years without problems..I use to use McAfee on my desktops , but things were a little sluggish, but no viruses..

I now use Norton for the last 2 years .The first version I used was the best"internet security with firewall"..I recently renewed it for 2 years..thought I selected the same[the 1st was 2005, so I selected 2006]..It is different , but I can still retain the firewall from my original..

I would recommend Norton, and AVG..

I to had a tough time renewing McAfee after it ran out..That is why I gave up and switched..

#114183 - 10/18/06 09:05 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Rome:

DONNY, I LOVE YA BROTHER...however, PLEASE,
PLEASE, don't send me any e-mails or attachments until you get it FIXED..hehehehe
TR

TR it aint my personal office pc its my kids!! I only send dirty pictures to Fran

#114184 - 10/19/06 06:35 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Dnj Offline

problem solved

I took the PC to the shop...wiped it clean, new bigger hard drive installed...I got no time for fiddling with it....let the kids fool around Daddy's here

#114185 - 10/19/06 08:11 AM Re: ot/ Is Bit Defender better then NORTON....OR? antivirus?
Tony Rome Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Dnj:
problem solved

I took the PC to the shop...wiped it clean, new bigger hard drive installed...I got no time for fiddling with it....let the kids fool around Daddy's here

Great....alls well that end well.....Fran,
don't share the photos with us, the FBI is watching.....hehehe

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online