SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#113281 - 03/21/02 11:55 AM PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
George Kaye Offline

Loc: Reseda, California USA
I just spoke with David Lindsay at Yamaha regarding saving changes of length of intro and endings into Registration Memories.
What he said was that you must first create a user style version with your changes before saving the registration. The reason is that the preset has been programmed with the length Yamaha want's the preset to use and when you set it into a registration with a change, when you recall it you are recalling the preset style's intro and endings length.
When you wish to store a changed intro and endings length in the user area, first choose the new lengths and then go into digital recording function and then press style creator, go t the second page and press save. You have now created a user style with the changed intro and ending lengths and now you can save this user style to a registration memory.
Dave said that some customers thought this was a bug but rather it was the way Yamaha intended the style to be preserved as a preset.
George Kaye
Kaye's Music Scene
Reseda, California
(Retired 2021)

#113282 - 03/21/02 02:18 PM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks George, we knew you could do it this way, but it's aggravating to have to save factory styles to disk, just so we can call up the intro or ending we want. We already have to save to disk if one different one-touch settings, for the same reason--they are saved with the syle. The User memory is quite limited and we already have to save songs, registrations and styles to floppy. It does read from floppy quickly, but it's still no fun to have to shuffle them in and out all the time. It's easier to manually select the intro/ending each time.
Even the 740 had at least 2 ending buttons.
DonM

#113283 - 03/21/02 02:19 PM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
By the way, I assume that is the same "Dave" that has been helping me. He is a really nice guy and tries to help, but he doesn't know as much about the keyboards as we do in most cases.
DonM

#113284 - 03/21/02 03:30 PM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
Anonymous
Unregistered

George...
Thanks for getting the "whole scoop" and sharing it. While I knew part of it, I did not realize that you can save different intro/endings of the SAME style to the individual registration buttons. It was posted earlier somewhere, but had not sunk in.

Don...
Up until a week ago, I was also shuffling discs around and it was an annoyance on the job. Then, I it finally hit me that I could load tons of information on just 1 disc, including registrations, styles, midis, etc.

The end result is that I now only use one of three discs on each job, depending on weather it is a single, duo or retirement home show.

I even have multiple versions of registrations for the same song which are designed for different audiences or feels... like Kansas City like Wilbert Harrison's shuffle version...or another as I imagine Delbert McClinton might do it in a Jive style. The Jive I had to save to user, but styles don't take up that much space.

My goal has always been to shorten the down time between songs...and getting everything on one disc has helped me a lot. The tips you have given me have been very helpful and I'm hopin you will give this a try and see if it helps you.

Eddie

#113285 - 03/21/02 07:40 PM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by George Kaye:
I just spoke with David Lindsay at Yamaha regarding saving changes of length of intro and endings into Registration Memories.What he said was that you must first create a user style version with your changes before saving the registration.

I'm sorry, but Dave Lindsay of Yamaha is DEAD WRONG. This simply is NOT true. He's obviously confused.

I agree that by saving a 'factory preset' style as a 'user style' you can change the styles's 'DEFAULT' intro & ending variation, but you DO NOT need to create a 'User style' in order to save specific intro/ending variations to & triggered by Registration Memory.

After spending time experimenting with PSR2000 'factory preset' styles and saving them to Registration Memory, I've determined EXACTLY how saving different intro/ending variations to Registration Memory works:

For each individual Registration Memory Button (1-8), you can store (and trigger) 'ONE' of any 6 Intro or Ending variations. It's important to remember that your 'specified' intro or ending can ONLY be triggered if you press the associated Registration Button, NOT the actual Intro or Ending buttons themselves.

When you want to save a specific intro or ending variation to Registration Memory, you must first choose & set the specific intro/ending variation type you want in the LCD window (press E), then press button D to choose a specific intro variation and button E to choose a specific ending variation. Then press either the 'intro' or 'ending' button (in the Style Control section) to turn it on. Immediately (while the intro or ending button is still lite), press the Memory button & one of the individual Reg Memory buttons. This will save the selected intro or ending to that specific Reg Memory button. REMEMBER to make sure that the 'style' box in 'Registration Memory Contents'is checked. As you may know, one of the ways to utilize REg Memory (and Registration Sequence) is to recall different keyboard setups for different parts of a song or song medley. By storing different intro variations to different Reg Memory buttons, you can effectively trigger different intros to be played at different parts of a song. I've found saving different intros, fills, or a break to individual Memory Registrations to be VERY beneficial as it can make a song performance really COME ALIVE !

I hope this has cleared up all the confusion. You CAN save 'different' intros/ending of either 'factory preset' or 'user styles' to Reg Memory. More IMPORANTLY, I think Yamaha really needs to make sure that THEY provide us with CORRECT information, lest cause even MORE confusion.

My chief complaint regarding Registration Memory is that you can't store the button status (on/off) of 'Sync Start', Sync Stop', 'Auto fill in' or 'OTS link'. As a result, I always have to run thru a 5 point check before performing each song to insure that the status of these buttons is manually set correctly. What a time consuming CHORE !

My other BIG complaint is that Registration Sequence numbers 1-8 (in the LCD), do not change correspondingly when the reg memory buttons themselves are selected (changed). This is real odd because it DOES work the OTHER way around (changing Registration sequence via back/next buttons DOES change the Registration Memory buttons. Anyone else experience this frustration when performing? The RegistSeq to Reg Memory button link needs to work BOTH ways. This is a BUG which Yamaha really needs to fix ! Ok, I've got all THAT off my chest now. I feel so much better.

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-21-2002).]

#113286 - 03/21/02 08:55 PM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott...
I have been tweaking registrations all week and saving different combinations of intros and endings to individual Reg 1-8 buttons using Digital Record > Style > Assembly Tab > SAVE. I believe that is the procedure Dave gave George...and its working great on mine.

Eddie

#113287 - 03/21/02 09:33 PM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
Scottyee Offline

Eddie,

But WHY would would you want to go thru ALL those steps when you can easily save different combinations of intros/endings directly to Registration Memory w/o having to save it to USER Memory first? Sounds like wasted time & energy. Does your PSR2000 work different than mine? I got Main Boot version 1.03, Main Program version 1.00.

Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 03-21-2002).]

#113288 - 03/22/02 09:42 AM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Scott..
I have a whole file Folder of "Scott's Tips", and your well written instructions have been invaluable in helping to get the most out of my PSR2K. However, your system of saving intros/endings to registrations is just not working on my PSR2K.

Even though you and I have the save version of the OS, I am finding, everytime I save an intro or ending to a registration, it changes ALL the regisgtrations to the last entered intro & ending.

Also, if the Ending LED is lit when I save to a registration, the ending will kick in when I hit that registration button then loops back into the style...UNLESS I hit the STOP button at exactly the right time.

I was hoping that selecting the Reg Button that has the ending I want would just load the ending but not activate it.

The only way I have found around this problem is to use the Digital Record>Style Creator>Assembly>Save sequence.

Granted, your system sounds more simple to set up than mine. It just doesn't give me the desired results.

Now... I have just discovered another Fluke in the recording feature, which I will work on and report on a new thread.

Eddie
Ok..the PSR2000 is not perfect...but neither am I. We are still getting to know each other.

#113289 - 03/22/02 10:37 AM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
Scottyee Offline

Hi Eddie,

Carlos Rodrigues (another PSR2000 owner here) is ALSO able to save/trigger different intros/ending variations directly to Regisration Memory without having to save the style to User Memory first, so I know it's not just working on my KB alone. I guess I was just lucky to get one of the 2000s which already supports this feature because I really do use it a lot.

Apparently there are a number of feature differences even between PSR2000's which display the SAME OS version. STRANGE. I think Uncle Dave observed too, when he traded his older PSR2000 for a newer one, to find that, though the OS version remained the same, that new feature enhancements (bug fixes) had been implemented.

Eddie, here's the bottom line: IF and WHEN Yamaha makes the newer ROM chip upgrade available, you WILL be able to save/trigger your choice of intro/endings directly from Registration Memory and not have to save the style into User Memory first. Let's just HOPE that Yamaha will get it together with the ROM version displayed, so both they and we know WHAT version does what !!! Right now it's a MESS !

Scott

#113290 - 03/22/02 10:49 AM Re: PSR2000:Saving Intro and Endings
Anonymous
Unregistered

Agreed Scott. In the meantime, if there are PSR2K owners out there that can't save the intro/endings directly to registrations as you can, they should know that all is not lost. It can be done..and it really is not all that difficult.

With all the 2K bashing going on, I feel like a renigade. I love the board and have been able to work around the quirks to get it to do what I need. And the Bottom Line for me is the Bottom Line... it is making me money out on jobs.

Side note to Jedi: If you would care to email me, I think I can help you with some of your registration problems.

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online