SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108578 - 03/14/02 06:34 AM Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
diosif Offline

Loc: Greece
Hello everyone. I am in the difficult situation everyone is prior to purchasing a keyboard, since it's a considerable amount of money involved!
So, the candidates are
1.Roland VA-5
2.Yamaha PSR 2000
3.Korg PA-80

I need it for live performance, not for song writing or for studio. I also have the Yamaha W7 and the rack MU80 from Yamaha again. Anyone has experience with the "candidates"? Any info welcome. I've studied the specs of the 3 models from the internet and theis bochures, but I live on an island and I don't have the opportunity to play with the Roland since no shop nor somebody I know have it. The other 2 are available for testing and I will try them the next few days.
Thank you in advance,
Dimitris

#108579 - 03/14/02 07:12 AM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
jedi Offline

Loc: Merrimack, N.H.
Hi diosif,
Have you tried the Korg "Karma" It`s not an "arranger" KB (so to speak) but I just read a thread that there may be software in the near future that will allow the "Karma" to play and recognize "left hand chords" and you can up-date the board as you need. Best of luck and welcome to "our corner of the web"
jedi

#108580 - 03/14/02 07:24 AM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
diosif Offline

Thank you for the welcome message! Actually, I need an arranger keyboard for live performance. I am a piano player, but accustomed to keyboards as well. The problem is I only have 2 weeks to choose and buy! And experimenting with gear "not exactly arranger" would be interesting, but time consuming. And, of course, it isn't available in my island (Rodos, Greece)...

#108581 - 03/14/02 07:30 AM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
I love Karma and it's way of doing things, but I'd place it very low for live performance for me, but only because I'm doing "cover" tunes live,and we are a duo, with all of the accompaniment coming from my keyboards. I've only spent maybe 5 or 6 hours on one, but it seems to have quite the learning curve as well. It would be quite the board to compose with though. Especially for Dance / Electronica.

I'm a bit disgruntled with the 2000 because of all the OS and other problems that mine had, so I don't think I can give a fair evaluation at this time. If it were working properly, I'd rate it very close to the PA80 for live play. I think some of the other guys and gals here will rate it above the PA80 for live play, and probably rightly so.
for the studio the it's the PA80, but for your needs..hmm let the others comment. I think because of my experieences with the 2000 I'm going to use the PA80 as my primary gigging board though. I know the board inside and out and feel very comfortable with it live.

Korg AJ

#108582 - 03/14/02 07:43 AM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
Anonymous
Unregistered

AJ.... after reading your post about feeling comfortable with the PA80 and knowing inside and out... I am now thinking I would take the refund offered by your Yam dealer and stick with what you know so well.

Diosif... with the limited time you have to choose and put together what you need in order to play, it sounds to me that the PSR2000 would be the best choice. You may find the manual confusing...but forget the manual...you will have all the help you need to get you up and running right here in SynthZone.

Eddie

#108583 - 03/14/02 08:32 AM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
synthmeister Offline

Take a look at the Korg PA 60!

#108584 - 03/14/02 09:42 AM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
STAM Offline

Loc: Brussels, BELGIUM
Gia sou patrioti,
Ego exo to Pa80, to vrisko poli kalo.
Para poli kalous ixous. Poli kala styles.
Genika, ego to brisko eukolo av kai oloi lene oti to psr2000 eivai pio eukolo gia paixnidi live.
Iparxouv kai arketa kaloi arapikoi ixoi. Me to Pa80 exeis kai tin pithanotita poli eukola na pekseis skales me 1/4 tonous. (de ksero av se evdiaferei auto).

Exo ftiaksei kai merika ellinika styles.

Ego eimai apo Kalymno alla pao syxna sti Rodo.

Kali tixi me to organo pou tha dialekseis.

An xreiasteis kamia alli pliroforia, mi distakseis va steileis minima.

Giaxara.

#108585 - 03/14/02 11:11 AM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Para kalò,
can you try and write in english so we all can understand?
Efxaristò
Andrea

#108586 - 03/14/02 12:21 PM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
diosif Offline

Sorry for that. The Greek text above was saying (briefly) that he has PA80, it is very good keyboard, he lives in an island near mine and he visits mine often, and that for any info I can ask.

#108587 - 03/14/02 12:23 PM Re: Help for choosing Arranger Keyboard
diosif Offline

I forgot the important info for you. That with PA80 we can play 1/4 of the tone, usefull for arabic tune or some traditional Greek.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online