SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#110920 - 09/09/03 12:27 PM Monitors....Again!!!
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
Hi folks, It's been awhile since I've directed a question to the forum, but I need some feedback. The subject; monitors. I know there are some past threads that go into great detail, and if you're burned out with this, then let it work its way out of the stack. I have been having a terrible time hearing myself at gigs...the main reason is, I can never adjust the mains to criss cross to where I end up sitting for the performance. I either need a monitor (yamaha, EV, fender, about $150-200) or do the in-ear thing. I bought radio shack ear buds that i can clip behind my head and they are virtually invisible, but the sound quality is so so. My biggest question is, does the wedge on the floor give you ample , good quality sound, yet not interfere with the mains....I'm open to any and all recommendations at this point..sorry to touch on an old discussion...just looking for new ideas...Regards Brian

#110921 - 09/09/03 12:51 PM Re: Monitors....Again!!!
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bryan,
If you're doing large venues, and your speakers are 10 to 20 feet apart, you need a monitor. The wedge on the floor is just what the doctor ordered IMHO, and without it, those big jobs are difficult at best. For smaller jobs, when the mains are positioned relatively close and somewhat behind you, say 3 to 4 feet on either side of the keyboard and about three feet to the rear, you don't need a monitor. If your EQ's are properly set, you won't get feedback, especially if you're using a high-quality, super-cardiod mic. You will experience feedback if you use a uni-directional mic and it's pointed at the speaker. The super-cardioids usually have a very short range, which also helps eliminate outside sources of noice from entering the mic.

Hope this helps,

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#110922 - 09/10/03 03:07 PM Re: Monitors....Again!!!
Leon Offline

Loc: British Columbia
B2...or have a look at the Impulse Monitor, by Peavy. Mounts on a mic stand. I use one that's situated just between the two tiers that I play. Like I've always said..."Works for Me"....but what's important is What Works For You
Just My Thots...

#110923 - 09/10/03 09:27 PM Re: Monitors....Again!!!
PaulD Offline

Loc: Eugene, OR
My question would be, are you a soloist? If you are, A simple head phone solution will work great. If you sing and so forth, you can have a simple under $50.00 dollar mixer that you could have as a sub mix off your regular mix to also plug into ear buds.

#110924 - 09/11/03 09:03 AM Re: Monitors....Again!!!
B2 Offline

Loc: Westfield, Massachesetts, USA
paul and leon, Thanks for the input. yes Paul, I am a solo act playing the piano and singing. I can never quite hear myself as good as I'd like and it's getting frustrating. I've done the old criss cross routine, but many times, the speakers are 20-30 feet out and not behind me. I've sat in front of them too, but most times, it is at a wedding reception, with 100-200 people talking and conversing during the dinner portion...talking can be very loud, and to keep it soft for them, it makes it difficult for me to hear. I have never considered the sub mixer. I have a mackie mixer with digital effects, and a berengher back-up mixer which sits idle every night. I may try that with ear buds, and actually, I have been looking into getting custom molds for my ears. Only draw back is the age old debate....do I feel separated from the crowd as I play....in most instances, Iwould really like it quiet so I can hear my instrumental pieces and feel the music better. Most of my playing is during the dinner hour anyhow, so I am background music for the most part....I would think the ear buds would be great instead of a floor wedge that sticks out like a soar thumb. I liked EV's little monitor that hooks to the mike boom also....Trial and error, but I'm leaning towards the ear buds....Thanks again
Brian

#110925 - 09/11/03 12:42 PM Re: Monitors....Again!!!
Vquestor Offline

I presently am using a Behringer MX802A
mixer, and plug in my Koss "The Plug"
ear phones. The cost of the mixer used
is around $40, and the phones cost
$20 at Best Buy or Circuit City. I usually
only put the earplug into my left ear.
I never had such clear monitoring.
If you like the concept, you can always
move up to more expensive earplugs in case
the Koss Plugs don't suit you.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 09-11-2003).]