SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#166854 - 09/10/03 04:11 PM Final Decision
Sesom163 Offline

alright, i found a local retailer carrying the Tyros at a relatively good price. It looks like i might make the purchase this week. Are there any last things for me to think about. ie. will the tyros last me,should i consider the motif, kn 7000? thanks!

ses

#166855 - 09/10/03 07:16 PM Re: Final Decision
trtjazz Offline

You really can't compare the Tyros to the Motif ES, I have both and they are 2 different boards in essentially all respects.

You need to decide whether you want / need an arranger or a workstation.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 09-10-2003).]

#166856 - 09/10/03 07:31 PM Re: Final Decision
Sesom163 Offline

well, what is the best way for me to decide?

#166857 - 09/10/03 07:45 PM Re: Final Decision
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
ses,

Let your ears decide. You need some quality time with the boards you are interested in to see which one captivates you the most.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#166858 - 09/10/03 07:46 PM Re: Final Decision
Sesom163 Offline

you are right my friend, I shall follow the path towards enlightenment

#166859 - 09/10/03 08:48 PM Re: Final Decision
sk880user Offline

Loc: United States
There is no dealer in my area that carries Tyros, Genesys, KN7000, SD1, or VA7.

However, they all carry PA80 and most likely they will carry PA1X.

Believe it or not I am forming my impressions about these keyboards simply from reading these topics in synthzone.

If you have the chance to try some of these keyboards, this is a great opportunity that many of us do not have. I conquer with all: use your ears.

#166860 - 09/10/03 08:58 PM Re: Final Decision
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
It depends what you will use the board for.

Are you using the rythms a lot to accompany singings ? If that is the case, then arranger such as Tyros is the way to go. Many of the forum members are one-man professional entertainers and they CANNOT stay in business without arranger keyboard.

BUT if you use it in a band with other people playing rythms(drums, bass, etc) then you want the MOTIF like keyboards that specializes in the SOUNDS. This is also the case for those people that composes songs and creates rythms from scratch (lots of work). Even a composer will benefit a lot from an arranger. I believe MOTIF calibre keyboards will beat the sounds of Tyros any day. But if you try to have a full band YOURSELF and accompany singers/your own, then MOTIF will fall short - it does not have arranger features.

#166861 - 09/10/03 09:57 PM Re: Final Decision
Scott Langholff Online   content

Loc: Pensacola, Florida, USA
Nobody carries arranger keyboard where I'm at also.

I would suggest getting one from a place that has a 30-45 trial period. It's actually pretty hard to tell with a couple hours in a store. I hear of lots of players who get it home, only to find out they didn't try everything out, or they don't like the operating system or something.

If you want to try something and they don't have a trial period, and you don't want it, then sell it on ebay. If you buy right, you could stand to make a few bucks, Even if you about break even, whats the loss, if you're not really happy with it? A person could try all the keyboards they want this way.

Also, I am aware of some players in bands that use an arranger keyboard for various reasons. Maybe they do solo gigs on the side, or maybe they like to use it to practice or just have fun.

Very dangerous to buy a keyboard and never to have heard it. There is one in particular that a lot of players seem to like, and I thought it had the ugliest sound I had ever heard.Everyone that heard it, especially after they heard my PSR2000 thought it sounded bad. The operating system was atrocious, and the 300 page owners manuel was for a genius. That's one reason I ended up with a PSR2000. Previously I did not like Yamaha keyboards one bit. But they have really come a long ways.

Best
Scott Langholff

[This message has been edited by Scott Langholff (edited 09-10-2003).]

#166862 - 09/10/03 11:26 PM Re: Final Decision
lukitoh Offline

Loc: Hayward, CA, USA
Scott has very good point. At ALL cost, buy one at stores that has 30 day money back guarantee like Guitar Center - it will save you lots of grief. There just too many things that can cause you to dislike a particular board, no matter how good people may say about it. I bought PSR550 that was raved by many people in this board and spent $600. It sounds great BUT I really disliked the way it handled the registration memories. And I had another offer a day later for PSR2000 for around $550 in perfect condition. The smartest thing I did was buying the PSR550 at GC so I could return it. Before that time, I also returned a CASIO WK1600 and PSR1000 - all were highly recommended to me and sounded good at the store for couple hours. But after trying them for a couple days, it is obvious that they were not meant for me.

#166863 - 09/11/03 05:34 AM Re: Final Decision
Sesom163 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by lukitoh:
It depends what you will use the board for.

Are you using the rythms a lot to accompany singings ? If that is the case, then arranger such as Tyros is the way to go. Many of the forum members are one-man professional entertainers and they CANNOT stay in business without arranger keyboard.

BUT if you use it in a band with other people playing rythms(drums, bass, etc) then you want the MOTIF like keyboards that specializes in the SOUNDS. This is also the case for those people that composes songs and creates rythms from scratch (lots of work). Even a composer will benefit a lot from an arranger. I believe MOTIF calibre keyboards will beat the sounds of Tyros any day. But if you try to have a full band YOURSELF and accompany singers/your own, then MOTIF will fall short - it does not have arranger features.

Ahh, this is confusing me more now (which might be good) From what I have been hearing, the Tyros sounds are without equal. You are telling me that the Motif has better sounds? I mean, im really caught here between arranger and synth. On the one hand, I am primarily a composer and do alot of my work from home. On the other hand, I enjoy the ease of my 740 arranger and will gig occasionally on the side (my big gigs are usually on a piano though) . Is the motif significantly more difficult to learn? Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this : ) Thanks guys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online