SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#110913 - 12/10/04 11:17 AM Mixer/volume control question
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
I have read with interest the discussion regarding mixers here and need advice. I play with a guitar player, mostly for fun, not profit. He has his own amp and I have two separate amps/speakers for my Tyros (for stereo). Our problem is controlling our volumes when playing to an audience. We do not use a PA system. I had hoped to find a mixer or something from which someone could control each of our volumes. Of course a mixer's intent is to mix and in our case I just want to control our separate volumes. I do plan to get a new mixer that I can use to record us (mixed) to my laptop (the Alesis mentioned in the discussion looks cool). But can a mixer be used to control the volumes to our amps separately or do we need something else?

I also have the problem with not being able to monitor myself when playing to an audience since I sit behind my amps. The Tyros doesn't have built-in speakers and I don't want to cart around the Tyros screw-on speakers and subwoofer (they really are pretty cheezy). I suppose I could use headphones but then I wouldn't hear the guitar.

Any advice?

#110914 - 12/10/04 01:12 PM Re: Mixer/volume control question
shboom Offline

Loc: Victoria, British Columbia
I use one of these units to balance 2 kbs. Works like a good thing!!

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/15/150102.t.jpg
------------------
...L

[This message has been edited by shboom (edited 12-10-2004).]

#110915 - 12/10/04 01:16 PM Re: Mixer/volume control question
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Why not just fire the guitar through the Tyros line in, then you can control both.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#110916 - 12/10/04 01:59 PM Re: Mixer/volume control question
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Why not line out of the guitar amplifier into the PA, line out of the PA into a powered monitor, and use a dual volume pedal for the two keyboards? That's the way I do it, and it works great.

Russ

#110917 - 12/10/04 02:55 PM Re: Mixer/volume control question
juneau Offline

Loc: Red Wing, MN, USA
These are interesting suggestions, but I don't think they are what I'm looking for.

What would seem to be perfect would be a mixer that included a thru for each input channel. That way you could, for example, plug a guitar into channel 1 on the mixer and connect another cord from the thru on that same channel on the mixer back into the guitar amp. Since each channel has its own volume control, you could easily control every input.

Is there a mixer available like this?

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online