SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#97596 - 12/09/04 07:09 AM What's going on with Ketron?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I think the SD1 is a amazing sounding arranger, but it's gotten a little old, and it has been along time since it has been released.

Are they making a new keyboard or did they make so much money off the SD1 they stopped development on a new board?

I would buy the SD2 in a second, based on the great things they did with the SD1, but what is the hold up?

#97597 - 12/09/04 07:35 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
I'm under the impression that we will not see anything from Ketron until next summer.

I'll assume that most of the features on the midjay,will appear in the next keyboard.

Dan O'

[This message has been edited by DanO1 (edited 12-09-2004).]

#97598 - 12/09/04 08:20 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by frankieve:
I think the SD1 is a amazing sounding arranger, but it's gotten a little old, and it has been along time since it has been released.

Frankieve I couldn't help thinking how ironicly funny your statement struck me. because even after 18 years of ownership, I continue to think my Steinway B piano an 'amazing sounding' instrument, and have no interest in trading it for something else, yet even though I too feel my Tyros still sounds fantastic, I'm admitedly always anxious to see what Tyros II or another arranger will offer as well. Interesting how 'electronic arranger keyboard instruments' don't tend to satisfy over the 'long haul' the way their acoustic counterparts (pianos, guitars, horns, brass, reeds & sax instruments, etc) do. Then again, I suppose it's because acoustic instrument manufacterers don't release new model improvements every year either.
Acoustic players typically purchase a specific instrument to which they develop a 'life long' playing relationship with. Just words for thought. Scott

#97599 - 12/09/04 08:26 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
frankieve Offline

Loc: Milford, CT, USA
I agree Scott, but when you buy an acoustic guitar, you expect only a acoustic guitar sound and that's it, also I guess if you have chicken parm everynight, it also gets a little boring?

So the way it looks is the G70 is a fixed VA7?

The new SD2? will have a type of midijay in it,

The Tyros II will have more than 8 regs at a time? and a working voclilizer system, can't wait

#97600 - 12/09/04 08:44 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I feel that traditional pianos will virtually cease to exist before too many more years.
Sure, a few elite will still want one to put in their entertainment rooms but as digital and electronic pianos continue to improve, there will be no real reason to spend all that money on a traditional piano, and then have to maintain it properly.
Scott, you can keep yours and maybe buy a harpsichord to go with it!
DonM
P.S. That should liven things up a little.

#97601 - 12/09/04 09:25 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO1:
I'll assume that most of the features on the midjay,will appear in the next keyboard

Dan, I hope you're right... and if you are, that'll be one hell of a keyboard!

Glenn

#97602 - 12/09/04 01:17 PM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Scott,

Everything we play on an arranger is still instant coffee. No matter how good the tenor sax or the grand piano is, it is still not as good as the real thing. Arrangers are based on organs and organs are imitative instruments. The only real organ voice is the diapason or principal. Everything else is an imitation of something. Your Steinway IS the real thing. We want new arrangers because each new machine moves us that much closer to the orginal.

When Ketron abandoned the X1, I abandoned Ketron. I think Ketron and Gem are just too small a player in an already small market. I predict that they will go the way of Technics.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Tom Cavanaugh (edited 12-09-2004).]

Tom

#97603 - 12/10/04 01:22 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
keybplayer Offline

Loc: CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Interesting how 'electronic arranger keyboard instruments' don't tend to satisfy over the 'long haul' the way their acoustic counterparts (pianos, guitars, horns, brass, reeds & sax instruments, etc) do. Then again, I suppose it's because acoustic instrument manufacterers don't release new model improvements every year either.
Acoustic players typically purchase a specific instrument to which they develop a 'life long' playing relationship with. Just words for thought. Scott

I think the 'key' to this whole scenario is sound. An excellent acoustic instrument such as a Steinway Grand, a Les Paul Guitar or a Stradivarius Violin, etc. is something that is yet unachievable (sound wise) in an electronic keyboard. But if you are an audiophile and want authentic (realistic) reproduction of an acoustic instrument's sound you would tend IMO to continue in your pursuit of 'perfection' of the real thing.

That is why IMO so many electronic Keyboard players continually upgrade to the latest greatest. They want the absolute best sound they can get for their money and newer and newer keyboards with newer and newer technology, i.e. "sounds and features alike" get better and better sound wise and also feature wise. >> Except Roland Arrrangers unfortunately...

That is why I bought a Tyros. Even though it doesn't have internal speakers which I would have liked, it has really wonderful sounds in it. And it has many great features too. But foremost, GIVE ME THE SOUNDS!!! >> The features, yes; but give me the SOUNDS!!

NEVER IMO substitute 'features' for sounds. Sounds should have top priority IMO. If you get the sounds you want plus the features you want then the features are the gravy. But the sounds are the meat and potatoes.

But me and many of my colleagues still seek the holy grail, i.e. "THE MOTHER OF ALL ARRANGERS"... Same goes for traditional Workstation Keyboardists.

When you hear the real thing, e.g. a Steinway Grand, a Stradivarius Violin, a Les Paul Guitar, etc., the ear knows what it hears. That's why those instruments get such rave reviews and people love them so much. Because they sound sooooooooooo good!!

Any keyboardist who knows the difference between mediocrity and excellence would IMO choose excellence if they had the choice.

As the saying goes: "Build it and they will come". That is why people keep buying and upgrading their keyboards or other Music related gear. They're looking for the "ULTIMATE" in sound reproduction..

Tyros II anyone??

But of course the proof is in the puddin' as they say.

What new Arranger keyboard will be the next hot ticket item? The Tyros II or.....????

Time will tell. But I say again to the Manufacturers: "Build it and they will come".

My 2¢

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by keybplayer (edited 12-10-2004).]

#97604 - 12/10/04 03:08 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
Exound Offline

Loc: Hoorn, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by keybplayer:
When you hear the real thing, e.g. a Steinway Grand, a Stradivarius Violin, a Les Paul Guitar, etc., the ear knows what it hears.

When you record a Steinway or a Stradivarius or other acoustic instrument and play it afterwards, the sound you hear is from a speaker.
From that point I think you can compare a keyboard with the real thing.
So the ear doesn't know what it hears when it's from a speaker.

Jan

[This message has been edited by Exound (edited 12-10-2004).]

#97605 - 12/10/04 03:26 AM Re: What's going on with Ketron?
Roel Offline

Now I have seen (and owned) the G70 the SD1 the more proves to be an excellent keyboard !

Some of you probably read my review about the G70 and how it left my house even faster as it came in

I have strong doubts about ANY new keyboard coming from Ketron..... will it ever come ?

The attitude of Ketron changed dramatically since the last year :
I used to communicate with mr. Sandro Fontanelli (chief R&D) but he seems to be 'vanished' . (fired?)

A few months ago after 1,5 year of waiting the latest OS4.0c was released, but some major bugs still are unsolved, what is a shame! (they are aware of the bugs but just put no energy in it)

Also my dealer does not know what is going on at Ketron. Only about 5 dealers in the Netherlands. I agree Tom : Just a matter of time, and Ketron will be gone......

Roland too should better stop producing arranger keyboards if they announce the G70 as the 'ultimate arranger for professionals' and it is, what it is now!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online