Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#110347 - 04/27/05 09:19 PM Re: My New G70
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
I'm now really looking forward to the opportunity to test drive the G-70 myself soon (still not available here in Northern California). I'm also keeping my hopes up that with Chris Halon (former Technics kb artist & style designer) now working for Roland, he'll be able to use his influence to finally get Roland to include advanced 'rootless chord voicing' recognition on the G-70 too.

Scott

Scott,
I believe I've read in a post on this forum regarding the latest os update, that 'rootless chord voicing' has been added to the G70

------------------
The old Newb

#110348 - 04/27/05 10:15 PM Re: My New G70
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by OldNewb:
Scott, I believe I've read in a post on this forum regarding the latest os update, that 'rootless chord voicing' has been added to the G70

Hi Jim. Though I certainly HOPE that you're RIGHT that Roland is actually going to add rootless chord recognition in their next G70 OS update, I suspect that what you read (shown below) was refering to the Korg PA1X/PA1XPro & not G70. If rootless chord recognition has actually officially annoumced to be implemented on the G70 as well, PLEASE 'somebody here' tell me. The suspense is killing me. - Scott

Quote:
Originally posted by harosha on 4/19/05:
OSIMO, Italy — Operating System Version 2.5 for the Pa1X and Pa1X Pro, Korg's flagship arranger keyboards, is expected to be available in May, 2005. As usual, the new OS will be a no charge download from Korg Italy's web site (www.korgpa.com), and can be easily installed by the user. Here is a list of the major new features that you will find in the forthcoming OS:
* "Expert" chord recognition mode, adding Rootless chords to the basic set

#110349 - 04/28/05 08:53 AM Re: My New G70
bbc Offline

Loc: France
He plays directly from its G-70 and records (captures) with its analogic sound card, that makes the songs distorted. All is playing in direct with the arranger in one time, no remixed, retouched nor re-arranged.

#110350 - 04/28/05 09:39 AM Re: My New G70
BlkNotes Offline

Dear BBC;

I have a difficult time believing that some of the songs were played as a one time pass. This is my reasoning. Look at the song Samba Pa Ti. The right hand guitar lead requires a fair amount of technique to play. The dupletes, bends, slides, & vibrato of guitar require the use of two hands. One to play the guitar(right hand) and the other to use the joystick (to far left of keyborad) to obtain the effects. Then the B3 organ starts with chords( which could be part of a g-70 style).But when the B3 starts to play counter-melodies while the guitar is playing and the organ chords are chaging, I have a hard time believing its done in one pass play, versus a couple, or at least being a sequenced song.

Next look at the song Roger Rabbit. This is a combination of part style arranger accompaniment, then full keyboard mode ( piano & clarinet). Listen to the accompaniment piano ( I don't believe this a part of the style accompaniment, but actual left hand play).Listen when he switched from clarinet to sax while the left hand piano is still playing, the drums initiate. Does he have 3 hands? There are ways to acheive this. One would be a sequenced song. Two would be a trigger to intiate and stop accompaniment ( i.e. in this case drums). Maybe a foot switch.

I have to say that I am not ulitimately familiar with some of the styles that were played, so some of the accompaniment parts may be advanced and have intelligent features, but the items I have described above sound as if a keyboardist was playing them due to complexity, timing and technique.

Anyone elses thoughts. Possibly someone could verify the styles used.

Thanks
Regards;
BN

#110351 - 04/28/05 10:42 AM Re: My New G70
Dreamer Offline

Loc: Rome - Italy
Dear BlkNotes,
I am listening right now to the songs you singled out and here is my humble opinion: even if I am not familiar with the G70, in the past I had a Roland VA7 and, given the similarities between those arrangers, I think I can say, for example, that in "Roger Rabbit" the piano backing is part of the style and is not played by the left hand of the player, who just keeps pressing the notes of the chords.
Speaking now of "Samba pa ti", I remember that in my VA7 the kind of tricks you hear done by the distorted guitar could easily be done via aftertouch, without having to use the joystick. In other words, you could route the aftertouch to control the tone and this would enable you to have that "bending effect" just pressing the key a little more. From this point of view, Roland arrangers are far more effective than -say- Yamaha.
Finally, as far as the organ riff goes, let's not forget that the G 70 is a 76 notes keyboard, so you could easily set a split point that would allow you to play the guitar part (which has a limited extension, btw) on the right side and also play a two-handed organ part in the left side of the keyboard. If you listen carefully, you will notice that the last note played by the guitar before the organ riff sounds truncated, like the player had to "hurry up" to the left, to play the organ.
So -yes- I think that it's possible that our friend (Maurice?) has actually played these songs in real time.
My only complaint, as I stated before, is the sound quality, at times poor due to distortion, but on the other hand I have to say that this was the first time that I had the opportunity to hear songs recorded with the G 70 "in the real world", in other words without all those "tricks" that we are accustomed to hear in the demo's made by Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc, whose main purpose is to "fool us" into believing that we could do the same, once we buy the keyboard.

#110352 - 04/28/05 10:54 AM Re: My New G70
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Dreamer;

Thank-you for your response & experience of your Va-7. I found it to be imformative and explain a number of the anomalies that I heard. Its funny that you mention the distortion issue.I though that the distortion was caused by my cheap headphones because of the peaks in decibels (since I didn't listen using external speakers). Thanks for mentioning that. I wonder if the new upgraded OS ver. 1.10 resolves any of those problems?

Yes, I strongly agree about the manufacturers doctoring there demos to sound better then they really are. What did you think of the NAMM 2005 Videos/demos on the Roland website. Did you find them to be modified?

PS--As a VA-7 user, what do you think of the the G-70? I have heard that past Roland VA series users are dissapointed with the G-70 since it has to many similarities to their older keyboards.

Thanks for the comments
Regards;
BN

#110353 - 04/28/05 10:58 AM Re: My New G70
bbc Offline

BLknotes,
Quote:

The dupletes, bends, slides, & vibrato of guitar require the use of two hands. One to play the guitar(right hand) and the other to use the joystick (to far left of keyborad) to obtain the effects.

It's possible to do it on G-70, let's say as the Roland vocabulary, G-70 has 3 "right hands" and 2 "left hands" + Intelligent arrangement (related to right hand analysis). Each note can have different sounds and effects related to the velocity and aftertouch. If you press the note deeply, the sound can trig to another sound and the effect too.

Quote:
Maybe a foot switch.

You can do it with FC7 foot/switch controler (7 programmable switches).
I don't know if you have the opportinuty to play on an Organ "Atelier" or Yamaha "Electone". You can do the things that we never believe.

#110354 - 04/28/05 11:38 AM Re: My New G70
Dreamer Offline

Dear BlkNotes,
I have to agree that, as a previous VA7 owner, I have found many similarities with the G 70, especially speaking of styles: if one listens to the demo's on the Roland US website and on the Roland Italy website , it's easy to see that the majority of the styles are actually old VA7/VA76 styles.
I really enjoyed the video demo's made at Winter Namm (they are on the Roland US website), but if you notice they focus is mainly on the new sounds (which are really impressive), while the styles tend almost to remain in the background.
So, if I were still a VA7 owner, would I upgrade to the G 70? Well, I think that I would definitely upgrade, if nothing else for the wonderful keyboard, which has the best feel I have ever tried; aside from that, I think that the new sounds and the new user interface (with plenty of buttons) are worth the expense as well. On the contrary, I don't think that the new styles ALONE would be worth the upgrade and, speaking of styles, I think that the Tyros, the PA1 X pro and the Ketron SD1 have more to offer.
Just my opinion, of course.

#110355 - 04/28/05 11:47 AM Re: My New G70
Dreamer Offline

To further clarify my point, the video demo that impressed me most was the first one, entitled "G 70 new tones", and especially the part where the demonstrator plays "Georgia on my mind" with an Alto Sax sound for the right hand and an Electric Guitar sound for the left hand: no styles at all, just plain sounds!

#110356 - 04/28/05 12:15 PM Re: My New G70
bbc Offline

Can anyone share new styles for G-70?
I especially prefer jazz styles.
Thanks in advance.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online