SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#109203 - 07/17/03 08:11 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
Looking forward to all the info we can get on this baby. I've never been a fan of the "Triton sound" which always struck me as a bit thin-sounding, but I'm open to listening to any new pro-level arranger. We got one wish-come-true already here: SP/DIF output! I'm a bit fuzzy on the "semi-weighted, best-weighted" keyboard thing but I'm guessing semi-weighted is the deal. Not mentioned in George's info is the "MP3 option", which allows the PA1-X Pro to playback MP3 files as well as midi files or styles (per the Korg website: http://www.korgpa.com/products/pa1xpro.asp). So obviously there will be available Korg-branded add-on options for the PA1-X Pro to get more of our $$$.

I don't understand the aversion to 76-note keyboards here. Releasing the 76-note version of the PA1-X Pro struck me as the right way to compete with the 61-note Yamaha Tyros (especially since Yamaha has been stalling and hinting that there may never be a 76-note Tyros) and the 76-note Yamaha 9000 Pro which the PA1-X Pro is priced near, not to mention Roland's aging VA76. The PA1-X Pro also looks more like a true "pro-level" instrument with the digital outputs, XLR mic input, no internal speakers, etc. so if/when a 61-note version of the PA1-X comes out then it may leave out some of those pro-level features so it can be sold cheaper. We've been lamenting the need for an arranger with pro-level features and at the price point needed to support that many pro options a 76-note keyboard would be a natural choice... and a preferred one for me.

That polyphony had better be 128 or more!

#109204 - 07/17/03 08:46 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Your right Jim, I think the price point of the Pa1-XPro is very competitive for a full featured 76 Key Workstation Arranger. My ONLY hesitation is it has no onboard speakers which is almost a MUST have imo. I know that if they did add speakers we'd probably be looking at another 8 to 10 lbs. of additional weight; so if they did add speakers it would probably turn off many potential customers from buying it because of weight concerns. I might rethink my philosophy about the necessity of onboard speakers, (Donny made the switch, right? ) and possibly consider getting the Pa1-XPro instead of the Pa1-X. But you're right, it better have at LEAST 128 note Polyphony.

Best regards,
Mike

#109205 - 07/17/03 09:37 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
dlstarry Offline

Loc: MN. U.S.A.
"We've been lamenting the need for an arranger with pro-level features and at the price point needed to support that many pro options a 76-note keyboard would be a natural choice... and a preferred one for me.

That polyphony had better be 128 or more!"

I agree,,, This Korg is sounding pretty good.
Denny

#109206 - 07/17/03 10:11 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Dnj Offline

I did make the switch back and forth twice between onboard speakers and none a few times in the past years on many many KB's. So I really dont mind either way, its not that important to my playing. A good Kb is a good Kb the speakers are just another feature that you have to askyourself can I do without, or can I use a work around, monitors or how you situate the location of your mains like I do now etc etc? be flexable and you'll enjoy playing alot more.

#109207 - 07/17/03 07:13 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
C'mom Donny boy ...... it's not that simple. There are countless times when using extra amps would be an unnecessary burden. It's not just as simple as "carrying" a monitor ornot. It's about space, sound and looks. Sometimes, the onboard speakers are EXACTLY what is called for.
I realize that it's not everyone's bag, but it is no longer a cryteria for "pro level". Speakers are a neccesity....some prefer built in, and some can deal with the extra bulk that outboard provides. I use both. I NEED both. there are too many times that I use the kb alone ..... amps are not always an option.
I think it's time to lay the debate to rest about speakers or no-speakers. It's clear that there are plenty of preferences on both sides of the story. We can all get what we want...and we can all give advice as to WHY we made our choices....the important thing (as always) is user comfort. You have to be happy with your choice.

#109208 - 07/17/03 09:27 PM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Dnj Offline

Well Said Dave.....

#109209 - 07/18/03 06:51 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
svpworld Offline

Loc: UK
Put a few taster pics over on the svpworld forum, see
http://forum.svpworld.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=648&PN=1

Regards
Simon

------------------

forum.svpworld.com - No adverts, No spam, No nonsense!
share your music, get help and advice, make new friends! All platforms invited!!

#109210 - 07/20/03 06:46 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
The Pro Offline

Loc: Atlanta, Georgia
I was all set to really like the PA1-X Pro, then I had to read Korg's statement that it provides "a generous 62 notes of polphony". The piano expansion card ALONE is my 9000 Pro has 64 - who do they think they are kidding? A keyboard with dual sequencers and cross-fade capability between them is going to need an awful lot of polyphony (heck I use more than 62 notes of polphony without dual sequencers), and unless I missed something, the polyphony on the PA1-X is not expandable.

Well, it was fun while it lasted to think this may be the next big thing in arrangers but this is one keyboard that I'll look forward to toying with in the store and that's all. It should prove to be a worthy, albeit expensive, successor/upgrade to the PA-series but I'm already disappointed in it.

#109211 - 07/20/03 07:06 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Clif Anderson Offline

Korg now has a description of the PA1xPro on their US website. I like the overall look, although I prefer a shorter form factor (like the SD1). I am happy about the 10 sliders, but longer-throw sliders would allow more precise control I, too, am surprised by the lack polyphony. The two sequencers provide can be synched for 40-part compositions--I think that calls for more than 62-voice polyphony.

I think the limit to expanding RAM from 16MB to 32MB is unfortunate. Since Korg is not paying for the extra RAM, why put such a low limit on it? (The new Motif ES is actually expandable to 1G RAM!)

Still, how many users actually use 62 voices at a time? And, I bet, most never use the sampler.

#109212 - 07/20/03 07:14 AM Re: Korg Pa1X Pro Information
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
62 voices are a snap to use up.
10 fingered chords,
layered sounds,
sustain pedal.......
you can bottom out on the second trigger of a big, fat chord if your foot is on the sustain. Forget about even turning on the arranger in this case !

In all fairness.... the polyphony on the PA80 is not too bad. If it is handled in the same way on this new piece....it might be ok, but it SHOULD have been improved at that price point.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online