SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#108699 - 11/20/02 09:22 AM Sequencing with keyboard
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Anyone here play a horn or guitar and uses their keyboard to sequence with the styles?

Please don't recommend a computer program. I have Cakewalk, I don't have time to sequence each bass, drum, piano horn section part etc., for each tune I want to do, and besides I rather many of the styles on my keyboard. I can't improve on them.

I go to the store and find the PSR2000 sounds better than I thought at first when I played it last year. Then I get the manual out and it seems that it won't copy and paste measures. This lack of copying and pasting measures makes it useless for sequencing to me.

I could convert my sequences to midi files to play on other keyboards but I would lose the effect of using all of the change on the fly functions I have on my keyboard which gives a more live effect.

Which of you floks have a keyboard that will copy and paste measurers and then copy and paste a whole chorus over and over to complete the tune.
Boo

#108700 - 11/20/02 10:27 AM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Wow! the 2000 doesn't copy and paste measures.. You sure on that? I thought it did... I thought the 1000/2000's sequencers had copy, track merging, and a whole bunch of other features that were far better than the PSR-740.

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#108701 - 11/20/02 12:01 PM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
brickboo Offline

I think it copies events. I don't know about coping tracks. I just couldn't see how to copy and paste measures which is obviously much easier than trying to record 3 or 4 choruses with 15 to 20 chords changes in a tune.

The i30 on the screen, push copy measures 1 thru 8 to measure 9. It doesn't get any simpler. No wonder peoplel use Cakewalk if their board can't copy and paste measures.

Again Don, Scott, Dave, Donny and others here have no need to sequence. They can play live all night. I want to play my sax. I have to sequence my tunes for that purpose.

The Yamaha would be a great backup for me which I need in case of a breakdown. But I might consider another board if it can sequence as good as the i30.

However, being as tight as I am, the PSR200 at $899 is very very tempting.

#108702 - 11/20/02 01:35 PM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
New Yorker Offline

Loc: St. Petersburg, Russia
I Hope Tyros does make you copy measures, otherwise - fagetaboutit!

#108703 - 11/20/02 03:04 PM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
trtjazz Offline

Brick,
Why can't you just record the style you want in Cakewalk and then dub your sax in? You can do however many measures you want then copy and paste.

You could do it either of 2 ways....
1. Record the entire style (or whatever parts of it you want) in as a Wav., through your sound card.
or:
2. You could record them in midi.....either all pieces parts on seperate tracks in 1 shot or as a single track, in 1 shot.

Either way, you would not need to record everything in beat by beat.

And then still dub your sax in on a seperate track and then mix it down.
Terry

[This message has been edited by trtjazz (edited 11-20-2002).]

#108704 - 11/20/02 06:32 PM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
brickboo Offline

Terry,

I do this real easy on the i30 in what is called a BSQ mode on the i30 and I have all the functions available. It's just like playing live. I can use the buttons to change the variations, ritard, fills and so on and so forth while I'm playing the sax live.

Every time I do the tune I can do it with a different variation, a different fill and on some styles a different intro and ending. It doesn't get so monotonous having to play it exactly the same way everytime.

#108705 - 11/21/02 09:03 PM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
zuki Offline

NO Yamaha arranger has a copy/paste feature in their sequencer. Sure would be nice to have the Motif features such as chain/pattern offerings. I think Yamaha's idea of 'song marks' in the Tyros is better than anything in the past.
Zuki

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#108706 - 11/22/02 05:59 AM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Zuki,
Totally agree with you on the pattern chaining issue.. If Yamaha added this to their arrangers I think it would make song composition a heck of a lot easier. Actually we talked about this in the past a few times too now that I think about it..

Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#108707 - 11/22/02 06:35 AM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This is interesting.... I have not given myself much exposure to other KB's, and I learn a LOT about their features, etc. from this board... but I always felt that they would all be pretty much the same, despite our passionate takings on their differences ... but having a kn6000, I just took for granted that all others had copy/paste/delete/insert/merge etc. functionality for both track and measure use ... sometimes I don't know how I would get by without those functions... perhaps another reason why technics kbs cost more ?!?...
brickboo ... you may want to check what makes/models have these functions and see if you could get on off ebay or some other market.....
t.

#108708 - 11/22/02 06:36 AM Re: Sequencing with keyboard
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
This is interesting.... I have not given myself much exposure to other KB's, and I learn a LOT about their features, etc. from this board... but I always felt that they would all be pretty much the same, despite our passionate takings on their differences ... but having a kn6000, I just took for granted that all others had copy/paste/delete/insert/merge etc. functionality for both track and measure use ... sometimes I don't know how I would get by without those functions... perhaps another reason why technics kbs cost more ?!?...
brickboo ... you may want to check what makes/models have these functions and see if you could get one off ebay or some other market.....
t.

[This message has been edited by tony mads usa (edited 11-22-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online