SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#107101 - 04/01/03 01:27 PM Tyros USB connection
Anonymous
Unregistered

My Tyros is connected through USB to my computer running MS W98. I used to be able to send files to my Tyros but it stopped working. I reinstalled the Yamaha driver, but my PC simply does not see the Tyros anymore. I tested the USB cable and this works fine. I even deleted the files that are installed with the driver but W98 does not see new hardware. Can anyone please help me?

07-04-2003

OK, another Sunday wasted on this problem.
I reinstalled my PCI USB card. I uninstalled the Yamaha driver and i deleted all the Yamaha entries from the registry.
Still no succes.

I resetted the Tyros to the factory settings
and finally W98 sees new hardware. Installing the driver and setting the midi settings. Midi in and midi out both available. But unfortunately no Tyros devices show up in the file utility.

Power off and on on the Tyros and the driver disappears again from my device list on the PC. Rebooting PC doesn't show it again and i am back to where i was.

I am using the Yamaha USB driver 1.22.
It all seems very unstable to me.

Does anyone know if the Yamaha driver is or should be available in the hardware device list on the PC if the Tyros is not connected?

I also used a notebook with W2K professional and i installed the Yamaha 1.61 driver.
Only 1 midiport USB out is available. No midi in. Can't get the file utility working either. I suppose i am stupid.

I even tried a different USB cable.

[This message has been edited by erwintouw (edited 04-07-2003).]

[This message has been edited by erwintouw (edited 04-07-2003).]

#107102 - 04/01/03 11:04 PM Re: Tyros USB connection
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
That is one of the nagging problems that many have had with their Tyros unfortunately. It is possibly not the Tyros fault at all but something somewhere on your computer got messed up, ie., corrupted files, files mistakenly deleted, software added to the computer that has overwritten system files with obsolete and incompatible ones causing a system conflict, or necessary registry files have been erased or changed, etc.

When did the problem begin? If it just happened within the last few days you could possibly try to restore a previous copy of your system registry. Here is how you do it: When you reboot your computer hold down the "Ctrl" key on your keyboard as it starts to reboot. PS: (You might have to hold down the Ctrl key + F8 depending on your configuration.) When the boot Menu appears choose #5 "Command prompt only" by highlighting it and pressing the enter key on your computer keyboard. When the "C:\ Command Prompt shows type in these words "scanreg /restore" without the quotes and hit the enter key on your keyboard. When Microsoft Registry checker comes up you will have a choice of several different backups of the Registry to choose from. If you can pinpoint the day the problem began with your Tyros simply choose the day previous to the problem and restore that registry backup by highlighting it and pressing the enter key on your computer keyboard. Once the registry is successfully restored and you are booted back into Windows see if the Tyros is now recognized by your PC. Warning! I recommend you try and exhaust all other alternative problem solving techniques before and if you try to restore your Registry. Sometimes just removing buggy software will clear up hardware and software conflicts. Also something as simple as disabling a Firewall might do the trick although most likely that is not the problem. You also might go to the Microsoft Update site and update your Operating System. Critical updates are of special importance for your computer to function at optimum efficiency and sometimes the right update will fix a specific problem.

Restore the Registry at your own risk. I have done it successfully many, many, times on various computer systems that I have worked on over the years. But if you are not comfortable with the technical aspect of computer operations please have an authorized computer technician in your area look at your computer. Either that or just hook up your Midi In/Out cables to your Tyros and Computer and transfer files that way. Your Midi In/Out cables will rival the speed of your Tyros USB connection any day.

Best regards,
Mike

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 04-01-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Idatrod (edited 04-01-2003).]

#107103 - 04/02/03 12:31 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
Alex K Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ USA
Do you have other USB devices working on your computer? If not, it is possible that the BIOS settings got reset to the default, which for many older PCs was to disable the USB connection.

To check that, most common BIOS (AMI and some others) will tell you to press F2 during startup. This will take you through the BIOS screens. Find the USB-related entries, and make sure the connection is turned on.

Good luck

#107104 - 04/02/03 02:28 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
In addition to all the fine advise you have already received, I HIGHLY recommend upgrading to Windows XP. XP has better plug-n-play, better performance, and is orders of magnatudes more stable than Win98.

I know it's a giant PIA, but well worth the upgrade to go with your Tyros.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#107105 - 04/02/03 06:32 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
BEBOP Offline

Loc: San Jose, California
Idarod, don't you reccomend backing up the hard drive before making registry changes to a non tech??

kbrkr. I have been using XP for over 6 months in the recording studio and never a problem or a crash yet
BEBOP

#107106 - 04/02/03 07:09 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
trtjazz Offline

The other simplistic thing that many forget....the Tyros has to be on prior to pc boot up. So Tyros on first, then pc.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#107107 - 04/02/03 08:25 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
davidty Offline

Loc: Slovenia
Hy to all!

While I was reading your comments to Erwintouw I decided to join the discussion,because I have the same problem as Erwintouw has and I cannot find a solution.I just want to say that I have tried everything that you mentioned here(reinstal win 98,win 2000,milenium ,xp...chech BIOS...and what Trjazz said),but there were no positive results!
Is there anything else left for me(us) to try? Please, help me(us)!!!! David

#107108 - 04/02/03 09:10 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
trtjazz Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by davidty:
Hy to all!

While I was reading your comments to Erwintouw I decided to join the discussion,because I have the same problem as Erwintouw has and I cannot find a solution.I just want to say that I have tried everything that you mentioned here(reinstal win 98,win 2000,milenium ,xp...chech BIOS...and what Trjazz said),but there were no positive results!
Is there anything else left for me(us) to try? Please, help me(us)!!!! David

David, if it were me, I would uninstall and reinstall all of it the Yamaha programs and all. Also make sure you are connected straight to the computer USB and not a hub.

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#107109 - 04/02/03 09:36 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Very Important!!

Terry touched upon a very important point.

Once you boot your PC (preferably XP), turn on the Tyros and you should hear the PC acknowledge the USB data with a short ding-dong sound. That indicates the operating system "SEE's" the Tyros.

If you receive that feedback, then you can go ahead and safely assume the Tyros and the PC are communicating effectively. You can then install the USB drivers and configure them appropriately.

If you do not get acknowledgement from the PC when the Tyros is turned on, then you have a problem with either the Tyros USB port, the cable, or the PC USB drivers (unlikely).

Hope that help a bit.

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#107110 - 04/02/03 11:09 AM Re: Tyros USB connection
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by BEBOP:
Idarod, don't you reccomend backing up the hard drive before making registry changes to a non tech??
BEBOP

Backing up the Hard Drive is a tall order especially if your Hard Drive is a large one with much data on it. The main concern is backing up the Registry which on Windows 98 provides several backups already available to the user through the Registry restore feature. It is also possible that the person with the Tyros USB trouble already has a back up copy of his/hers hard drive on a separate partition.

Best regards,
Mike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online