SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#105195 - 03/16/07 06:26 AM Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
squeak_D Offline

Loc: West Virginia
Could someone or "anyone" who owns a Tyros 2.., please post something I would "really" like to hear. Demoing a T2 in my area will never happen. I have a better chance of being elected President of the USA than I do finding a T2 locally.

I would love to hear the "drum kits" from the Tyros 2 (drum kits only as well). We've all expressed our opinions on what makes a GREAT sounding style in the past. IMO what makes or breaks a style is the drums and bass. I've always said that if there is one thing that's a DEAD GIVE-A-WAY that a song was played on an arranger keyboard using a style.., it was because of the drum and bass tracks.

Some of us like Roland, some like Yammie, Ketron, Korg, ect. However, many of us here also play "other instruments". I've been playing the keys since I was 5 years old, but I'm also a guitar player and a drummer. Which is probably why I've been so hard on Yammie over the years

We all have different reasons that draw us to our particular brand of keyboard. What draws me to a Roland is the "Drums". It's my years as a drummer which is why I truely appreciate the work that goes into the drum kits on a Roland keyboard. Roland's drum kits are just plain awesome. The reason is, Roland kits include tons of "multi-sampled and velocity switched" drum sounds. They also include other things that drummers can appreciate like "ghost notes". There's also "natural effects" you get from a drum kit. For example: On a real acoustic drum kit, when you hit the bass drum and the toms you're going to get "snare buzz". This is due to the sound waves vibrating the "mesh" under the snare drum. Roland includes this type of natural effect within their samples, and have been doing this for a while. Plus having the multi-sampled kits, and the use of natural effects, Roland is able to create really good drum tracks in styles that include a wide range of "dynamics".

I'm willing to post examples of my Roland's drum kits to show why "I personally" chose Roland as my main board. Could someone please post demos of the Tyros 2 drum kits. I want to hear individual sounds as well as combined. Don't use the styles either. Just play the kits. If someone is willing to do this I will post examples of Roland's kits. I just want to hear these kits on the T2. Even though my Roland is a synth, the same sampling applies to other Roland keyboards.

Is someone willing to post these sounds?

Thanks,
Squeak
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105196 - 03/16/07 08:28 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
mikeathome1 Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Why don't you create a midi file of the type of drum demo you would like then everyone can download it and play it on their respective boards and we can compare.

#105197 - 03/16/07 08:46 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
LIONSTRACS Offline

Loc: Italy
Hi Squeak
Interesting posting..
I made the same test with my new GM drumkits too, is really siple to create one Drums demo.
Just select ONE style and let it play only the drums track ( without press the chords)
Then in editor style you change ONLY the drumkits and start to play the same style, with the all patterns.
here you can hear some of the my new 23 GM drumkits demos: http://www.lionstracs.com/demo/styles/drumsdemo.mp3

here are the all new drumkits available: http://www.lionstracs.com/store/pro-gm-drums-p-164.html?osCsid=539269cfe39a04c60b2a83d2331e813a

I'm interesting to hear the T2 drumkits too
regards

#105198 - 03/16/07 09:20 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Unfortunately, a MIDI file played into a non-native kit doesn't show the kit off to its' best. Velocity levels, sample crossover points, all these change from manufacturer to manufacturer.

Probably best to just post audio examples of the T2 doing some of its' better styles, with the drums soloed.....

Life was SO much easier (but sounded worse) before they moved to vel-switched sounds and non-standard note maps (ghost notes, tom flams, etc.). It makes style translation and SMF tweaking SO much more necessary.

Perhaps a new 'standard' is needed, to define drum vel-cross points, and number of samples, etc.? Not that ANY of the majors are the least bit interested in the spirit of cooperation that brought about the GM/GS/XG revolution.

Doesn't anyone remember the bad old days of pre GM, where NOTHING moved cross-platform easily? We are rapidly heading back there......

#105199 - 03/16/07 09:30 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
squeak_D Offline

I agree with Diki Mike. It would be pointless for me to create a midi file to be played on other boards considering the differences in the makeup of drum kits as pointed out my Diki.

I know I'm not the only one here who bangs out their drums on the keys. Plus I don't really want to hear the drums within the styles of the T2. I've always felt Yamaha's drum tracks in their styles lacked "dynamics". If the samples themselves allow dynamic playing I'd like to hear other users post those examples.

I know drum playing is hard for some here, but just to at least hear the "toms, bongos, bass drums, ect AlONE" would be great. I want to hear the individual samples themselves. If a one of the members can rip out a quick track that would be great too. As I said I'd be willing to post sample demos of my Roland's kits to show how "dynamic" Roland's drum kits are.

Squeak

[This message has been edited by squeak_D (edited 03-16-2007).]
GEAR: Yamaha MOXF-6, Casio MZX-500, Roland Juno-Di, M-Audio Venom, Roland RS-70, Yamaha PSR S700, M-Audio Axiom Pro-61 (Midi Controller). SOFTWARE: Mixcraft-7, PowerTracks Pro Audio 2013, Beat Thang Virtual, Dimension Le.

#105200 - 03/16/07 10:24 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Hi Dikki
The GM standard came out about 8 years after Midi was introduced, (Which in itself was a minor miracle) and GM2 was launched about 10 years later, so give it another couple of years and you may find that another standard will emerge that includes drums. (Never give up on hope)
Enjoy whatever you play

Bill

#105201 - 03/16/07 11:08 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Dnj Offline

Squeak do you intend to buy a T2 now?

#105202 - 03/16/07 11:19 AM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
Squeak..... I think that the T2 styles themselves ought to demo the drum dynamics (especially if you turn off the master compressor) to their best. At least, if they don't, Yamaha should be ashamed!

I've heard a couple of posts from last year, I think, where someone posted a few 'tweaked' T2 styles that took off the compression, and bumped the drums up in the mix a bit, and they sounded a LOT better. Still not as 'live' to my ears as the Roland V-Drums in the G70 and E80, but still a lot better.

The problem arranger manufacturers have is how to voice the styles.... Do they voice them for 'pros' who are used to the dynamics of real drummers, live onstage, or do they voice them for the home players, who mostly listen to drummers on CD's, already compressed and limited?

My ears tell me that Roland tend to go for the 'live' dynamic, and Yamaha prefer the CD sound. But either can be swapped, with enough work. It's just that most people don't want to go through that much work....!

And for players with WAY too much time on their hands, at least Yamaha include a sampler, which you could painstakingly sample a TD-10 or E80 and rectify the problem. Not that anyone is likely to bother with that much work, but at least it COULD be done! Maybe even take a selection of BFD drums or DFH2 and create your own multi-velocity kit.......

But best of luck using it live, given the appallingly slow sample load up time!

#105203 - 03/16/07 12:27 PM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
squeak_D Offline

Dnj,
If I ever drop that kind of money on a pro arranger it won't be the Tyros 2 or any Yamaha arranger. I'd put my money on Roland G-70. In my opinion no other keyboard company does drums like Roland. Plus I feel the G-70's styles are more "live".

I've been wanting to hear the drum kits on the Tyros 2 because owners are saying the kits are new. I want to hear if Yamaha is catching up with the game here in terms of the drum samples themselves.

Squeak

#105204 - 03/16/07 02:56 PM Re: Tryos 2 drum kits, can someone please post examples?
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
Squeak,

For me the live acoustic drums are very good, maybe even comparable to the better kits I have with my DR8 soft drum synth. But... I'm guessong you wouldn't be very impressed with any of the electronic kits. I think that they are a step up from the older PSR series, but unless you're looking for "classic" hip hop and techno type kits ( classic = dated for me btw ), not much happening here.

I'll try to record a few for you and I'll do a yousendit post.

AJ

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online