SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#103644 - 06/25/01 09:44 PM Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
After hearing Notlos' wonderful demos performed on the SD1, I have become even MORE interested in possibly purchasing the SD1.

Today I spoke with one (if not the ONLY) San Francisco Bay Area "Mainstream" music store dealer who STOCKS Solton brand keyboards. I inquired about the new SD1 and he told me that he probably 'won't be carrying it' but might be able to 'special order' one pre-paid of course. I asked him WHY his store wasn't planning to stock or even have a demo model available to audition.

This dealer (also an AVID Solton keyboard fan and PRO keyboard player) explained to me that he thinks that Solton keyboards are the BEST pro arranger keyboards out there, but that the US distributor for Solton has not been providing much support to him as a dealer. Apparently (at one time) Bell Solton NY had a "West Coast sales rep" but that this is NO LONGER the case. My local dealer then said there really is NO longer an incentive for him to carry or promote Solton keyboards because the US distributor (Bell Solton) has not been responsive to his store's or his customer's needs. He added that if Solton KB warranty service was needed, that the keyboard would have to be shipped all the way back to New York (Bell Solton) because no local keyboard repair center would be WILLING to work on it. On top of this, he said that "Bell Solton would not provide his store with any 'demo' keyboards, even though (according to him) their store had sold MANY Solton keyboards in the prior year. He explained that other major keyboard brands (Roland, Yamaha, Korg, etc) ROUTINELY supply dealers with a demo keyboard when sales are good on their product line. He then reiterated that this situation has been frustrating because he still thinks that the Solton arranger keyboard line is the BEST arranger keyboard on the market. This guy is no 'fly by night' dealer and is a popular local bay area music store chain in business for MANY years, so I tend to respect what he had to say. Of course I don't know EVERYTHING behind his comments but it certainly is causing concern on my part because (as the dealer said himself), he thinks that Solton Keyboards are GREAT products and are just missing the boat on the US distribution/marketing end of things.

I'm sure that George Kaye in Southern California probably has a VERY different take on all this, but I still wonder WHY there are so FEW dealers in the USA who will 'keep in STOCK' Solton keyboards. Could this local dealer of mine have provided some important clues?

Feedback much appreciated from ALL,

- Scott

#103645 - 06/26/01 06:43 AM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Roel Offline

Hi Scott,
Just for your information.
Today I called my local dealer and told him I could pick up an SD1 in Germany only 80 km from here. (Musik Produktiv)
My patience is not endless and I'm pretty close to the 'end'..... after more than 6 months waiting.

I really had plans to cancel my dutch deal (distributed from Belgium Bruxelles) today and buy one in Germany. BUT My dealer will get the SD1 next week ..... promised by the Benelux distributor !!!
My patience ends at wednesday next week.

Roel

#103646 - 06/26/01 08:32 AM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Scott, In my past experience as a Solton dealer, I can assure you I never had a problem ordering even a single unit from Lou. As far as service, there was never a problem, a store with a professional repair tech with approval of Lou[should be qualified]. Techs were paid properly as with other manufacturers and their distributors. In all my 20 years as a retail music store owner,I cannot recall a demo[free?]unit furnished by the BIG guys. I have purchased units as Rep demo units at distributor cost, BUT Nobody gives you anything..As a side note, when you see Star performers on TV showing Yamaha,Korg and Kurz products, they are usualy donated or furnished by the Manufacturers. What you will not see is the same by Roland.When you see it on stages the performer purchased it[ that means they prefer Roland]..Fran

#103647 - 06/26/01 10:00 AM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Scottyee Offline

Hi Fran: Perhaps my local Solton dealer had MEANT receiving a demo unit at 'distributor cost', he really didn't specify exactly. He just seems to have lost the 'incentive' to promote & stock Solton keyboards now even though he still loves the product line itself.

BTW, I also called the OTHER San Francisco Bay Area authorized Solton music store dealers (provided to me by Bell Solton NY) and they too would NOT stock the SD1. In fact they don't even stock the X1 (at least the first dealer does). Everything has to be ordered on a 'special' pre-paid basis. It's INTERESTING that I am not able to find even 'one' SOLTON dealer in the ENTIRE San Francisco metropolitan region (population over 3 million I'm sure) who is willing to have even one SD1 on the sales floor available for us potential customers to play. I think MOST people need the opportunity to try (audition) BEFORE they buy, especially on a high ticket item such as this.

Interesting to hear about Roland keyboards seen on TV performed by STAR performers. I wonder WHY Roland opted not to donate/furnish their KBs in exchange for publicity, while the OTHER big Guys do? Afterall, the Roland LOGO (free adversting) is as large and as easily seen as the OTHER manufacterer's logos.

Roel: My thoughts are with you MAN! Let's Keep our fingers crossed that your SD1 will arrive by 'next' Wednesday

- Scott

[This message has been edited by Scottyee (edited 06-26-2001).]

#103648 - 06/26/01 10:44 AM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Bevan Offline

Good news,
The SD1 will be soon in the shops in
Germany,Belgium and the Netherlands. A tech-
nician tolled me it could be in November or
December allready. There are still some small
problems in the hardware and in the software
but they can be solved.

#103649 - 06/26/01 11:14 AM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Roel Offline

Hello Bevan,
Your message is "good news" ?
I'm not sure your posting is serious or just a joke.... ;-)
As far as I know the SD1 ARE available but only in SMALL amounts. For example serveral dealers ordered 30 or more but got only 1, 2 or 3 SD1's.
Dirk Baert has one and created great demo songs.
BTW To whom did you talk ?

Roel

#103650 - 06/26/01 11:28 AM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Scottyee Offline

Bevan: Could one of the SD1 software issues you mentioned possibly include FINALLY implementing the jazz (rootless) chord voicing recognition that was PROMISED (in the release version of the SD1) by Sandro back in January? These specific jazz chord voicings are ALREADY recognized by the Technics KN6500 & Yamaha 9000 keyboards. - Scott

#103651 - 06/26/01 11:41 AM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Scott,

We have similar problem here in Toronto Canada. There are 3 large music dealers in Toronto that are also Ketron dealers. 2 of the dealers have the X1 on display. They are trying to clear out of the X1 due to poor sales. They will not order / stock the SD-1. They do not want to get stuck with another high-priced item that they can not sell. The Canadian Ketron dealer prices are just too high and the dealers can't afford to take the risk to promote them. The only way I can tryout a SD-1 is to drive 4 hours to Montreal where the Ketron distributor has a showroom there. The Ketron distributors should provide "demo" keyboards to dealers at a lower cost so that dealers can put them on display.

Henry

#103652 - 06/26/01 02:38 PM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Gord Offline

Loc: Kelowna,British Columbia,Canad...
Henry
I talked with someone at FNZ marketing in Montreal. He told me to call "Mario" at 1-514-273-9912 (FNZ) and there was a possibility that the SD-1 could be shipped to a 'local' store for a tryout. I live in southern British Columbia and at this point-I don't want to be obligated- but If I can't find one on the west coast, I may have to -.

[This message has been edited by Gord (edited 06-26-2001).]

#103653 - 06/26/01 06:06 PM Re: Solton SD1 Keyboard Dilemma !
Henry01 Offline

Loc: Dublin, California, USA
Gord,

I talked to Marcel Beaulieu at FNZ many times and he never offered to ship one to a local store. He asked me to drive up to his showroom to try the SD-1. I don't think the SD-1 are instock yet, may be just a few. If he has any extra ones, he would have called me 'cause I told him that I'm definitely interested in one. I think they should have some in a few weeks.

Did you get any pricing on the SD-1?

Henry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online