SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#102546 - 03/30/05 07:00 AM Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
Bluezplayer Offline

Loc: Catskill Mountains, NY
This is a new program from Rayzoon Technologies. It's a Vst module that simulates a real drummer by interacting with notes that you play. It also contains an arranger module that allows you to preset intros, variations, fills, etc.
Some of us have probably tried some of these "interactive" programs before, including the types that try to use audio and / or midi data to trigger other midi data, and have likely walked away less than satisfied. Forget things like Virtual Guitarist or Virtual Drums ( other supposed interactive software ). This thing really seems to work as advertised, albeit a bit better with midi input than audio input, though you can use the latter as well.

I tried the demo of this program and it rocked. This is the first program I have played with that gave me that "Korg karma" interactive feel, but maybe even better, because to me it feels far closer to playing with a real drummer than any other software or hardware I've ever tried. I immediately purchased it upon it's release date.

I'm not sure how far or how well this program will wind up working for me, but I am getting enough of a handle on it that I plan on using it soon at a gig, while playing manual bass and rythyms / solos on keys. There is still much to explore, but so far so good.

Rayzoon is a small outfit, but it's creator has delivered everything promised and even on time.. He has been very responsive and interactive with feedback that has been given, so I imagine this product will only get better.

Next up for Rayzoon is a virtual bassist. If it works as well as this does, I can't wait. The two programs will work in tandem according to Rayzoon. This is exactly what I hope to someday see in a hardware arranger, and why I liked certain aspects of the Karma. What I didn't like so much about karma was it's overall soundset and it's massive and sometimes confusing O/S.

For more info if you're interested ... http://www.rayzoon.com/

AJ

#102547 - 03/30/05 08:38 AM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
If that works, that's really cool. With bass, wow, that could be awesome. You gonna use this with a laptop at gigs? Does this need a souped up laptop? Interested in your hardware setup.

#102548 - 03/30/05 09:12 AM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
Bluezplayer Offline

My laptop isn't all that souped up. A P4, 2.8 gig, 1024 mb ram, usb Quattro soundcard, and a ton of VSTi instruments and effects.

It works so far, not a terrible drain on CPu at all .. less than 25 % when I use the internal samples and open the Vst up in Xlutop Chainer. It would be far easier on the cpu if I used my Motif ES instead of the internal Jamstix samples, but the samples are very good ( well over 200 mb and very nice sets).

Yes, I am definitely going to try this out live, but I also hope the bass module follows soon.. ( no timetable yet from Rayzoon ). If the two work well together, then yes.. it should be awesome.

AJ

#102549 - 03/30/05 09:25 AM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
BlkNotes Offline

Dear Bluezplayer & others;

I wonder if they plan to create the same program for Guitar (rhythm) , and possibly a couple of other instruments. One could create their own intelligent Vsti arranger. I wonder how difficult it would be to use live. Secondly, since they are creating a bass guitar verison of jamstix, I would assume they would have to use some chord recognition features, which would parallel the auto-accompaniment of arrangers. This could be an exciting new chapter for arrangers.

Regards;
BN

#102550 - 03/30/05 10:12 PM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Wow, and at a great price. Does it exist for Apple? (I love my powerbook but I hate the software limitations.)

I currently use a hardware Roland TD 6v for my drums, but would like to change over to software. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get a software drummer? All it needs to have is great sounds, and the ability to trigger them through MIDI. Nothing else required.

Thanks, Chony

#102551 - 03/31/05 06:08 AM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
Bluezplayer Offline

I think this is PC only, at least for now, according to what I read on their forums. There was mention of a Mac version to follow.

AJ

#102552 - 03/31/05 08:58 PM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
Vquestor Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
Wow, and at a great price. Does it exist for Apple? (I love my powerbook but I hate the software limitations.)

I currently use a hardware Roland TD 6v for my drums, but would like to change over to software. Does anyone have any ideas of where I can get a software drummer? All it needs to have is great sounds, and the ability to trigger them through MIDI. Nothing else required.

Thanks, Chony

The consensus for the best are:
FXpansion BFD, and Drumkit from Hell Superior, but I am not sure if either is
Apple compatible.

[This message has been edited by Vquestor (edited 03-31-2005).]

#102553 - 04/01/05 09:54 AM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
The MP3 demos are fantastic. I like the music too. If that is what actually happens to the drums when the playing changed, it's unbelievable. This answers another thread, "Have we come to the end of technological advances" . No way. I have begun to realize that I really like drums, especially when they are mixed up like this. Wow.
I need to figure out how to use chainer so I can test this demo.
Hey Yamaha, Roland, Korg, Ketron. Back to the drawing board.
Starkeeper

[This message has been edited by Starkeeper (edited 04-01-2005).]

#102554 - 04/01/05 03:22 PM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
Bluezplayer Offline

Chainer is a pretty straightforward app and I thought it was easy to use once I got the hang of it. First, you need to "tell it " what folder(s) you are using to keep your VST .dll files in. You access this function in the Options drop down menu.

Then in the System drop down menu, choose your preferred soundcard and your midi in device. Then undr the Plug in menu, click on the small arrow to the left of an empty plug in slot, select instrument from the menu, and access Jamstix.

If you would like a little more help getting started with it, email me with your Phone # Starkeeper, and I'll be happy to help with what I can.

Otherwise, I might also suggest going to KVR and dl'ing either Tobybear's Minihost or VSThost, both of which are freeware and worked fine when I tried them.

I still haven't had time to fully delve into Jamstix yet, but after playing with it a bit and just reading the forums on their site and at KVR, I think these guys really are on to something different here.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 04-01-2005).]

#102555 - 04/04/05 09:03 AM Re: Rayzoon Jamstix Virtual Drummer and Arranger Module - Preliminary Review
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Thanks for the help AJ. Will try your suggestions this weekend. I appreciate extending your personal help. Let me try it 1st and will let your know.
Like Frank Rosenthall suggested, you have to take it easy with this stuff, but its worth the effort in the end.
Starkeeper

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online