SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#101801 - 06/21/03 04:02 PM Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Ok, you've all heard me sing the praises of Tyros, probably too much, right? Well, here's one beef I have with the Tyros, which I don't experience with the PSR2000.

On the PSR2000, if I assign 'fill to self' to a foot pedal, and then depress & hold down the foot pedal, the fill 'repeats continously' until I release the pedal. On the other hand, on the Tyros, the fill plays only once, regardless of whether I release the pedal or not.

It's almost impossible (for me) to continuously re-trigger the foot pedal repeatedly (and at just the right moment) to achieve the effect of a continously repeating fill that holding down the PSR2000 foot pedal, or the fill button itself (on top of both the 2000 & Tyros) achieves.

I much prefer being able to keep the foot pedal depressed to get the fill automatically 'repeat continously'.

The advantage of a continously repeating fill is for a song's transitionary section where you might want to build up the audience energy, before moving into the next section. An example where I like to do this is on the classic Van Morrison tune "Brown Eyed Girl". If you know that tune, I think you know 'where' in that song I'm talking about: "Do you remember when we used to sing"

I'm now curious to find out if the new PSR2100 retains the 'continously repeating' fill when activated via foot pedal or not. Perhaps Joe Waters, Shakeel, or Beakybird could check and report back on this.

In the meantime, I'd like to request that Yamaha implement this on the Tyros via OS update. I hope Steve Deming is reading this and will forward my request to the Yamaha folks in charge of OS update developement.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

#101802 - 06/25/03 04:49 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
It might make a difference if anyone else was using this feature. If anyone besides Scott ever did this, and is a Tyros owner or potential owner, let me know.

Thanks,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#101803 - 06/25/03 05:39 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Scott,

Are you triggering the fills with the MFC 10?

Irregardless, I would absolutely agree with Scott; holding down the trigger pedal should allow the break to continuously execute. I vote yes!

Al

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#101804 - 06/25/03 05:43 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
For Steve D.
Dpto. Customer Service Yamaha

I understand that the "style" designers for the Tyros are from Germany, just an observation, in the World 1 section there is a style "Mexican Dance", this is NOT either Mexican, Spanish or latinoamerican.......and it could be more usefull to put a REAL style like, Guajira, Bachata, Cumbias(there are several types, Colombian, Mexican, etc.), Vallenato, Vals Peruano, Zapateado, Bolero Ranchero, Son, etc......I will encourage more Research, rather than inventing something not accurate in orchestration, and even more important, the Caracter of the etnicity to portrait.
Thank you.

------------------
mdorantes

#101805 - 06/25/03 08:13 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
DanO1 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello Steve Demming ,

Can you please email me at

keyboardcity@yahoo.com ? Sincerely, DanO1

------------------
Keyboard City
1826 E.Joppa Rd.
Towson Md. 21234
410 665-MIDI (6434)
keyboardcity@yahoo.com
www.keyboardcity.net

#101806 - 06/25/03 08:27 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
entweka Offline

Loc: Saguenay, Quebec, Canada
Hi,

I tried to hold SelfFill with my MFC10 and, unfortunatly, it works great!

So, i dont need an os upgrade to do that...

Actually, i have the OS version 1.20

Scotty, did you tried with a MFC10 or just a normal foot pedal?

Serge

#101807 - 06/25/03 09:55 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Idatrod Offline

Loc: Oceanside, CA USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Scottyee:
Ok, you've all heard me sing the praises of Tyros, probably too much, right? Well, here's one beef I have with the Tyros, which I don't experience with the PSR2000.

On the PSR2000, if I assign 'fill to self' to a foot pedal, and then depress & hold down the foot pedal, the fill 'repeats continously' until I release the pedal. On the other hand, on the Tyros, the fill plays only once, regardless of whether I release the pedal or not.

It's almost impossible (for me) to continuously re-trigger the foot pedal repeatedly (and at just the right moment) to achieve the effect of a continously repeating fill that holding down the PSR2000 foot pedal, or the fill button itself (on top of both the 2000 & Tyros) achieves.

Scott

One more reason I can add to my list as to why I didn't get and "won't get" a Tyros. At least not until Tyros II or maybe Tyros III when they add internal Speakers, and you can actually play those darn Mega Voices they put in there. I use the Fill to Self with a Foot Pedal "Repeateded Continuous Fills" and it is a GREAT feature on the PSR 2000. It can really add sparkle to a piece and can really jazz things up in the percussive department. I have no idea why the Tyros developers left this cool feature out. What were they thinking? Sure you may be able to do it with an MFC10 but you will have to spend upwards of $300.oo for the MFC10 to get it to work. How much did I pay to get that feature on my PSR 2000? How about Zilch! Thank you Yamaha for adding that feature to the PSR 2000. Should you do no less than give your Flagship Arranger's customers that same feature as one that your Mid Range Keyboard has? I agree with Steve Deming. All of you Tyros owners out there chip in and let it be known to Yamaha Music Division that, YES, this is a feature that I want!!! Not only through this Forum but I encourage all Tyros owners to E-MAIL Yamaha directly to let them know how you feel.

You can reach a Customer Support Representative by email or phone:

Email: ycasupport@yamaha.com
Phone: (714) 522-9000, CA. USA Please call Monday – Friday, between 8:30am – 5:00pm PST/PDT

Best regards,
Mike

#101808 - 06/26/03 06:04 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
trtjazz Offline

Scott, not sure what you're doing, but if I hold my fill to self button down on the MFC10 it continues to fill to self until I let off it, so mine works the way you want it to work.
Terry

------------------
jam on,
Terry http://imjazzed.homestead.com/Index.html

#101809 - 06/26/03 11:31 AM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
YamahaUS1 Offline

Loc: Buena Park, CA, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by mdorantes:
For Steve D.
Dpto. Customer Service Yamaha

I understand that the "style" designers for the Tyros are from Germany, just an observation, in the World 1 section there is a style "Mexican Dance", this is NOT either Mexican, Spanish or latinoamerican.......and it could be more usefull to put a REAL style like, Guajira, Bachata, Cumbias(there are several types, Colombian, Mexican, etc.), Vallenato, Vals Peruano, Zapateado, Bolero Ranchero, Son, etc......I will encourage more Research, rather than inventing something not accurate in orchestration, and even more important, the Caracter of the etnicity to portrait.
Thank you.

mdorantes,

Germany doesn't own the style input on Yamaha portable keyboards. Every market has some input depending on the unit sales in that market. It just so happens that Germany sell a lot of high end units, so they have some influence. Ultimately the product development staff must choose which
voices and styles will make the list. I agree that more research is necessary. Bottome line is; there will never be 1 unit that is perfect for all markets. I will pass along your comments.

Regards,

------------------
Steve Deming
Assistant Manager
Customer Support Dept.
Pro Audio & Combo Division
Yamaha Corporation of America

#101810 - 06/26/03 04:41 PM Re: Tyros OS update Request: Auto Loop 'Fill to Self' via footpedal
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Quote:
Originally posted by kbrkr:
Scott,

Are you triggering the fills with the MFC 10?

No. I acknowledge that it's possible to trigger continously repeating fills via the MFC10 'midi' foot controller.

My gripe though is that it's not possible to trigger 'continously repeating fills' via a 'single pedal' foot controller, connected to one of the three assignable 1/4" foot pedal jacks on the back of the Tyros. On the PSR2000, it's possible to trigger a "continously repeating" fill as long as ou keep the foot controler pedal depressed, and have grown to rely on this feature in live stage performance (as I had outlined earlier in this thread) so sorely miss it now on the Tyros.

Steve, I'm confident that this can be corrected via a Tyros OS Update, so hope with your assistance, that you can forrward this to the Yamaha Tyros R&D dept in hopes they will address this issue in the next Tyros OS update.

Thanks for your consideration.

Scott

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online