SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#101319 - 07/19/05 07:52 PM Re: Epson
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
Plus if you figure the cost of labels and your time putting them on, it might not be much different, although I have never done labels. I was waiting for an affordable CD printer, and $109 is INCREDIBLY cheap for what it does. But then these guys make their money off the ink, not the printers, that's why they almost give them away. Costco sells a pack off all six ink cartridges for $58 i think but I will buy them from Epson ($17 each i think) so I can just get the colors I need.

#101320 - 07/19/05 10:45 PM Re: Epson
Diki Offline

Loc: NW Florida
A huge thumbs-up for the Epson R200 - an affordable CD printer and good all-around photo printer too. The sad news is that with just about all photo quality printers, you are really paying for the ink, the printer ought to be a give-away!! But, as has been said, at least the inks are separate, so you don't throw away your cyan just because the magenta ran out! The inks, by the way, are Epson's Durabrite inks - near archival quality and smudge resistant, if not totally waterproof. Much better, anyway, than the previous Stylus series ink carts. As long as you let the CD dry well, about 15 - 30min indoors, before you stack it or touch the ink surface you should be fine.

(Good OSX bundled software too, can't comment on WinXP)

#101321 - 07/20/05 12:05 AM Re: Epson
StPatrick Offline

Loc: Bentonville, VA USA
For those who don't know, the 200 is computer dependent. The 300 will print directly from a memory chip from a digital camera without a computer. The price difference is LOW.
I have considered doing the following at my karaoke shows (which makes up the bulk of my business): record someone singing at a show, take a snapshot of them while they are doing it, sell them a CD for say $10 with their song and a picture of them printed in full color right on the CD.
For now, I am recording all the songs that are sung at a show and making a single CD (a lot less work) usu 20, and putting a pic of the bar on it. i sell it to the bar for $7 and they sell them for $10.
My first stab, they have sold 7 of the 15 i made. so ive covered my costs and its good PR and fun.
I suggest that you sell the CDs to the bar first and offer to buy them back if they don't sell for the same price. That way you aren't responsible if they get stolen or given away.
I do think that for a OMB, you would sell more CDs if they had color printing on them. Also, discmakers.com sells a cool cardboard display that hold CDs pretty cheap.

#101322 - 07/20/05 06:25 AM Re: Epson
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Brickboo, DonM and others:

I have been using the Epson R-200 for better than one year now. Never had a smear but of course, I don't take my CDs into the shower with me. This is not a speedy process, takes about 4 to 5 minutes per CD including label design which comes with the software. If you are into a high production scenario I would recommend a commercial house that does that stuff big time!

Blank CDs are not that expensive, its just sometimes hard to find the media since the poor klutzes at Wal-Mart don't know they exist. Fry's has been my main source due to cost but they are 200 miles away.

DonM - glad to know that the US Snail Mail package arrived. I am preparing a special ointment for you to use in treating your eardrums after hearing the stuff I sent you.

My Best to All, RICE (The Lone Arranger)

#101323 - 07/20/05 07:27 AM Re: Epson
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Quote:
I suppose if you get someone to make them for you, you're back to the copywrite issue

If you have someone make the CDs for you and sell that at gigs what are the implications? Anyone have info on that?

#101324 - 07/20/05 10:04 AM Re: Epson
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't think anybody is worrying about little fish selling a few of their own cds. Musician's Friend has some deals that would be hard to beat. Much less expensive than doing it yourself, but I haven't used them yet.
DonM

#101325 - 07/20/05 01:08 PM Re: Epson
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
I know a guy who has sold 800 cd's and no complaints. Epson R300.

Here is an Epson ink comparison...
http://www.epson.com/pdf/Epson_Ink_Solutions.pdf

------------------
Me Bill
Yamaha PSR2000

#101326 - 07/20/05 01:26 PM Re: Epson
ViLo Offline

Loc: Dallas Tx., USA
Quote:
Originally posted by SemiLiveMusic:
I know a guy who has sold 800 cd's and no complaints. Epson R300.

That will be me Duke!!!

Not all CD's are mine,I also print CD's for other people, and they like the way they look.

------------------
Precision Mastering
http://vilo4.tripod.com/precisionmastering/

Master Your CD With Us!
Ask Me About it!
www.vicente-lopez.com

HE'S COMING, MAKE MUSIC, GET READY! smile

#101327 - 07/20/05 02:13 PM Re: Epson
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
I will never buy another EPSON Printer again. Every Epson when switched does a song and dance for a few minutes each which dumps a load of ink into a bottom tray which contains a foam sheet to soak it all up. Inks frequently require changing compared to my previous HP Printer where inks lasted so much longer. I have been told that Canon printers are good and cheap to run.

#101328 - 07/20/05 06:37 PM Re: Epson
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Graham,
Do any of the Canon's print onto a CD. This is the reason I want a new printer.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online