SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#170794 - 07/17/05 01:27 AM Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
chony Offline

Loc: New York
Hi all,

The right side speaker on my old PSR-8000 has suddenly quit on me. No crackles or pops - it just one day stopped working. I opened up the keyboard and everything including the connections seem to be intact.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I assume the problem could either be on the circuit board - which is where the speaker is attached to; or the speaker itself. If it is the latter, I'll replace it; if the former, I guess not... How can I test it? And does anyone know where to get a replacement speaker for a PSR 8000?

Thanks everyone! Chony.

#170795 - 07/17/05 01:56 AM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
chony Offline

A bit more info: I took out the speaker and on the back it says:

4ohms . 20W . Japan . 7L1 . XU089A0 .

I don't know what company makes it, so it makes it hard to look up. Without measuring it looks like a 5" speaker (the specs say 16cm).

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 07-17-2005).]

#170796 - 07/17/05 03:49 AM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
Roel Offline

The test is easy :
Just switch the speaker-wires/connectors on the board.
If the same speaker remains 'dead' it IS the speaker.
If the original 'defective' speaker works now the problem is on the board (amplifier or fuse).

What about the headphone.... does it work on both channels ?

[This message has been edited by Roel (edited 07-17-2005).]

#170797 - 07/17/05 06:32 AM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

Roel is right on the money! Additionally, does the stereo output function when hooked up to a PA system? If the headphones and stereo output works, the culprit is likely the speaker, however, Roel's test will determine this.

If the speaker must be replaced, any speaker rated at 4-ohms with the same physical measurements will work just fine.

Good Luck,

Gary

------------------
Travlin' Easy

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#170798 - 07/17/05 07:27 AM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
loungelyzard Offline

Loc: North Eastern Calif.
Chony:
check your settings, maybe it got set to L Main and R sub or some combination or something?? just trying to think of something, usually speakers keep working. Have you tried initial set up reset??..pose

#170799 - 07/17/05 08:05 AM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
msutliff Offline

Loc: Cottage Grove, MN, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by Roel:
What about the headphone....

And speaking of the headphone jack, I had somthing very similar happen on my keyboard (GEM WK8), all of a sudden, no sound out of the right side. Turned out to be the headphone jack, it didn't re-connect the speaker when I pulled the headphone plug out (sticky or dirty contact points?). Both channels worked with the headphones plugged in, both channels worked when connected to an external PA. I pulled out the plug on the headphones and got some cracklin' out of the right side speaker. I inserted and pulled out again and the right side came back.

I haven't plugged in the headphones since....

-mike

#170800 - 07/17/05 06:55 PM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
chony Offline

Hmmm,

I did as you all instructed. I cleaned out the headphone jack - and it seems to be working along with the PA outputs.

Without changing the wires however, I realized that the problem is not with the speaker, as the right hand tweeter - which is not connected to the woofer - is also not working.

Roel, what do you mean that the problem would therefore be with the amp of fuse. Is there any way for me to check or change the fuse?

Thanks!
Chony

#170801 - 07/17/05 09:32 PM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
quietDIN Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chony:
I did as you all instructed. I cleaned out the headphone jack - and it seems to be working along with the PA outputs.

Without changing the wires however, I realized that the problem is not with the speaker, as the right hand tweeter - which is not connected to the woofer - is also not working.

Based on what you said, it seems likely that (as Mike mentioned) one side of your headphone jack's speaker-switching contacts are not working. Don't be convinced otherwise just because headphones work on both channels; they will, even if a speaker connection isn't properly made when the headphone plug is removed. How did you clean the headphone jack?

Of course, it's remotely possible that both the woofer and tweeter are bad on one side, but that's less plausible than the headphone jack switch contacts acting up.

--Barry

#170802 - 07/17/05 09:48 PM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
chony Offline

Thanks Barry,

I figured that maybe the power (fuse / amp) for both the woofer and tweeter, were powered from the same source - and that that source might be the problem.

I 'cleaned' the headphone socket with pressurized air, with cotton buds, and inserted a plug in ten or twenty times!

Chony

[This message has been edited by chony (edited 07-17-2005).]

#170803 - 07/18/05 05:48 AM Re: Speaker on keyboard not working. What could it be?
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Chony,

If the proble is the leaf-switch contacts within the headphone jack, then clearning it with cotton swabs and canned air will not correct this problem because the swabs cannot get between the switch contacts.

If the headphone output and normal stereo output is working just fine, then the problem may be one of the headphone jack's leaf switches. The only way to check this out is to open the keyboard, then connect a small jumper to the switch, thus bypassing the contacts. If this activates the speakers, then the problem can readily be solved by replacing the headphone jack. This type of jack is available at most electronics stores for under $3.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online