Are you going to be with a band or playing solo? A workstation like the Motif or Motif ES is fine for use with a band, but might not be the best choice for playing solo.... unless of course you don't need backing. Perhaps you would use midifiles and or a drum machine or just play acoustic piano ?? or string along drum patterns in the step sequencer while playing left handed bass and comping with the right hand ? Or perhaps you just want it to complement your arranger ( for better solo / lead voices ). I've used my Motif ES and stacked it with my Korg PA80 ( arranger ) when playing live solo.

When you ask about the Motif 6, I assume you mean the "classic" ( not ES ) ? I had one before I got the ES. Excellent sounds, very useful for band use.

Compared to the ES, the disadvantages are : half the polyphony ( you'll notice that when playing along with midifiles ). Very few arps and pre programmed drum patterns for the step sequencer. Only one bank for user sounds vs 2 banks on the ES. Less wav rom, so fewer voices and raw samples.

There are a few other differences as well, but either board works fine for someone playing in a band.

AJ

[This message has been edited by Bluezplayer (edited 10-23-2005).]