If you are looking for an arranger, then it is a poor choice, because Motif ES7 is a workstation.

If you are looking for a top end rompler ( sample based workstation ), then it is a a very good choice. I have an ES6. Any of the big three ( Triton Extreme, Fantom X ) are rather good boards imho.

Pros- Excellent soundset especially acoustic instruments vs the other two ( my opinion of course ). Maybe a little weak in the synth sounds though vs the other two, but you can add the AN150 plug in analog modeled synth and it rocks ( sounds a lot like a Prophet 5 ).

Ability to add user arps and user patterns. The whole "phrase factory" thing ( very good step-sequencer with slice functions ) is very cool.

Nice key feel for a synth action board. ( ES8 is weighted and feels more like a real
piano )

Assignable knobs and slider that helps make it a very decent controller for other synths or even Vsti / software samplers.

Cons- Small screen.

Difficult or complex OS to navigate through for some ( although it isn't bad for me once I learned it ).

Sampling- Cool functions, but a pain to learn the menus and navigate through. I always recommend using a dedicated sampler for anything complex anyway.

I still have mine, and probably will for a long time.

AJ