Thanks 3351, your advice already getting me closer to figuring out what I need (besides piano lessons :-).

Quote:
Originally posted by 3351:
Well, there should be a bunch of stage pianos out there but if you're planning to record organ and piano sounds and you already have a DAW it would make sense to invest in software instruments. Better bang for the buck and way way way way better sound if you're looking for authentic Rhodes, Organs and huge acoustic piano sounds. You'd need a CPu from hell of course.

Right, I have invested in quite a few software instruments that I've been using & love. The XP-50 (50 keys, non-weighted) is my current controller, and I want a full 88 key KB mainly to play/record piano parts. I've not had any CPU issues to mention running Ivory, B4II, etc. Which VI's do you think I might run into problems with? (Have 1.5 Ghz PPC),

Quote:
Out of all keyboards I've tried (big fan of weighted keys here too) I prefer Yamaha weighted keyboards. So if they make stage pianos with KB feel similar to that of the Motif ES8, XS8,S90, S90ES etc I'd go for one of those. Mind you, for organ playing weighted keys hurt so I keep a DX7 on top of my Motif ES8 just for organ parts. Using both as controllers nowadays since software and a few hardware toys take care of the restt.

Good that you point out the weighted keys/organ weirdness, I was wondering about that. I suppose I will continue to use the XP-50 to control organ VI's. I'm not personally familiar with the KB's you mention,but I will get to Guitar Center & check them out for feel & compare.

Quote:
FOr nice Rhodes I like using Lounge Lizard EP3. For organs USB Charley and NI B4 II. For acoustic pianos I like the White grand and Ivory. ...As well as some gigasampler piano libraries I bought a while ago.

OOh. Charley, I want that! Have heard such good things. Also will check out Lounge Lizard. Thanks for the tips!

One other thing I'm wondering/confused about: A lot of the keyboards I've looked out only offer Midi IN/OUT but not THRU. Since I'm already using one KB controller with my DAW, wouldn't I need Midi THRU to hook everything up together once I get the 2nd keyboard?

Many thanks!!