Don, I shot a guy when I was 7 years old. It was in Alaska, and my dad was on alert at Ladd AFB. Mom was 8 months pregnant and confined to bed. I was taking care of my two younger brothers, and noticed a guy looking through our kitchen window. There had been multiple break-ins and physical assaults, including rapes.

It took him about two hours to break the window and slip inside. He saw me multiple times, but didn't know I had my little 22/410 Savage hidden around the corner. When He came in I warned him; then shot him in the knee with the 410. He got up and I shot him in the other knee. I kept the gun on him from about 11:00 PM until daybreak at about 4:00 AM
(it was nidnight sun country, you know). At daybreak, I sent my 5 year old brother to the next house about a quarter of a mile away for help.

I was required to see a military psychologist. When he asked me if I had any regrets, I told him I regretted not killing the dumb ass!

I NEVER want to physically hurt anyone again, but if it came down to protecting my family or friends again, I wouldn't hesitate.

The guy was the one breaking into houses and harming people, and I saw him often in town, glaring at me. I just stared back and gave hime the finger (he got "first time" honors).

Russ