Nigel!
Little over a year ago I watched a demo of a Line6 Flextone and the Variax 500. I admit it was impressive and the versatility is near limtless, so I ordered the Vetta II along with two Variaxes, one 500 and a 700.
I gigged with this equipment for about half a year and was quite happy.......
until I checked out a Fender Super Reverb amp. (4x10's )
I never looked back. My Line6 rig is used for digital recording, and a 50th ann AmSe Strat is my main axe along with the Super and a GREAT Cornford Hurricane for overdrive. A bit more to lug,but I'm extatic about my tone!
To recap, I tried a Gretch through the Super at the shop that time, went home and dialled in Bassman on the Vetta, but it never could get there. Line6 is great, but read my lips: Nothing, nothing, can model the real thing.
You are absolutely correct Russ, tubes rules, and it has nothing to do with age!

To answer your questions Nigel, the tones of the Variax are nothing less than impressive, banjos, acoustic, LP it's all there and extremely close to the real thing. And with that equipment (Vetta 100W) I had no trouble cutting through the mix. You can go out via the PA and use the amp for monitoring for example. Think Hotel California, I play the finger pattern on a 12 string, and for the chorus it's the push of a pedal (yeah have the big footswitch too!) and a LP with overdrive kicks in. Jazz hollowbodies are modelled extremely well.

------------------
Roy-Andrč

[This message has been edited by royandreno (edited 01-19-2005).]