Bernie, in my opinion, no. Ideally, you will be using the best (pre-mixed) audio track you can produce (probably NOT with the 8 track) which will be added as an audio track in the video editor where it MAY be additionally tweaked. It can be easily synced, either via 'click track' or by simply matching it (graphically) to the the audio track from the camcorder (which it will subsequently replace). This may sound complicated but it's not (or I wouldn't be doing it smile ) and it may not be the best way of adding the best audio to your video but it works for me (bear in mind, I'm a pure amateur). The point is, forget about the video. The object here is to get the best AUDIO track you can get. If that's with your digital 8 track, then so be it. I have an excellent 16 track Tascam recorder that I NEVER use as I favor my computer/Alesis I/O26 with Reaper as an easier-to-use method with even better audio. YMMV.

So my advice is, if you've got a reasonably powerful computer (which you'll need for video editing anyway) dump the 8 track and get a medium to high end audio interface (if it cost less than $200.00, DON'T buy it smile ). The downside of course is, you'll have to learn the new audio recording software as well (but it does keep the old brain cells popin'). It should also be noted though that most decent video editors have (basic) audio recording facilities built in. Sooooo, lots of options.

Note: the above was my 'short answer' smile.

chas