Tascom DP-01 fx/cd

Posted by: Bernie9

Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 12:49 AM

Diki or someone

Will there be any use of this 8 track digital recorder in videography, or is it all software nowadays?
Posted by: cgiles

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 06:08 AM

Bernie, in my opinion, no. Ideally, you will be using the best (pre-mixed) audio track you can produce (probably NOT with the 8 track) which will be added as an audio track in the video editor where it MAY be additionally tweaked. It can be easily synced, either via 'click track' or by simply matching it (graphically) to the the audio track from the camcorder (which it will subsequently replace). This may sound complicated but it's not (or I wouldn't be doing it smile ) and it may not be the best way of adding the best audio to your video but it works for me (bear in mind, I'm a pure amateur). The point is, forget about the video. The object here is to get the best AUDIO track you can get. If that's with your digital 8 track, then so be it. I have an excellent 16 track Tascam recorder that I NEVER use as I favor my computer/Alesis I/O26 with Reaper as an easier-to-use method with even better audio. YMMV.

So my advice is, if you've got a reasonably powerful computer (which you'll need for video editing anyway) dump the 8 track and get a medium to high end audio interface (if it cost less than $200.00, DON'T buy it smile ). The downside of course is, you'll have to learn the new audio recording software as well (but it does keep the old brain cells popin'). It should also be noted though that most decent video editors have (basic) audio recording facilities built in. Sooooo, lots of options.

Note: the above was my 'short answer' smile.

chas
Posted by: lahawk

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 06:35 AM

Bernie, matching a separate recorded audio wave length to the original video audio wave length is the way to go. Yes it's easier with the Tascom, but it can not match what can be done with computer software.

Here are the basics:

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 08:19 AM

Thank you Chas and Larry, this info helps a lot.
Posted by: Diki

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 11:36 AM

Depending on what you are using for the initial video, if a camcorder there may be line level inputs where you could hook up your mixer directly, so sync with the video will be perfect. There are also iOS or Android compatible inexpensive audio interfaces that can allow you to hook up your phone to your mixer output while you record video.

These all bypass the need to wild sync any recorded audio to your video, but it’s not that big a chore. You will help yourself doing the old clapboard trick that film people do, simply clap your hands once before you start the music, and that will give you a nice clear transient on both the video audio and the mixer recording. You can then zoom in in the editor and line both claps up as tight as you can go, and that will give you perfectly synced audio, at least for the duration of a single song.

You might have bigger issues if you try to record a whole show, especially if using a tape camcorder, trying to keep synced for half an hour or more. But digital video is pretty stable. Just keep an eye out for any drift in sync between the nice tight start of the recording and the end…

You certainly don’t need to worry about multitrack audio as long as you simply want to record your live performance…

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 12:31 PM

I am very pleased with my audio as recorded. How it may be compressed during YouTube processing seems minimal, in .MOV mode at least. I am using a Zoom Q2n HD digital camcorder that excels in audio, but could be better video. For the time being, I will use this camera, for simplicity if nothing more. As noted, my start and stops were sloppy, lighting off ,and my countenance less than joyful, but am learning to edit the video to rectify the rag tag start and finish. I bought a lighting kit that has improved the lighting.

My needs are comparatively simple. No long varied shoots, just 2-3 minutes of a song in my studio. I am trying not to rush to publish, now that you kind people have cautioned me of the perils of doing so.

I shall post again only when I think it is worthy of peer review. I am not that humble except when I am groping in the dark lol.

Thanks to all

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 02:12 PM

Bernie, I love your attitude and your humor. I think my humor is ok but my attitude could probably use a little tweaking smile.

chas

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 02:29 PM

Bernie, don't go crazy. Sometimes you can over edit. In a way your "natural" videos of you playing, on the fly, is nice to see and hear. I feel like I'm in your studio watching and listening to Bernie play, and that's not a bad thing.

Just fix that "Fish Eye"

Chas (and me) "We are actually not funny, we are just really mean and people think we are joking" smile

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 02:51 PM

Originally Posted By lahawk

Chas (and me) "We are actually not funny, we are just really mean and people think we are joking" smile

Hey, speak for yourself, you obnoxious, snowball-throwing (at Samta Claus, no less), cheesesteak-eating, Eagles-worshiping, Philadelphia thug.....oh wait, that describes ME TOO smile smile smile.

chas

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/27/22 03:12 PM

Keep that sense of humor my friend, it helps.

As a Philly guy, I'm proud of that distinction.
And I gave up defending the Santa incident. Eagles were horrible and Jolly St. Nick was drunk crazy He deserved more smile

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/28/22 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By cgiles
Bernie, I love your attitude and your humor. I think my humor is ok but my attitude could probably use a little tweaking smile.

chas

Chas.
Even though you didn't ask for it, I feel compelled to give my opinion after this rare baring of the souls:

You are very intelligent and well spoken,( not to be confused with always using profuse, kind oratory), and a very good musician. You are highly principled and leave no doubt as to your stand on a given subject. OOH, that is only when someone riles you.

Since I am a fair judge of character, we have never crossed swords, resulting in me being the recipient of well meaning and valuable advice and discourse.

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/28/22 02:09 AM

Bernie, don't go crazy. Sometimes you can over edit. In a way your "natural" videos of you playing, on the fly, is nice to see and hear. I feel like I'm in your studio watching and listening to Bernie play, and that's not a bad thing.

Just fix that "Fish Eye"

Larry, it is your turn. However, I can't roast you, as you seem to be a steady force of of equal temperament and ,like Chas, always willing to be of help. Thank you for your comments, and wonder what to do about the "fish eye" syndrome. Someone on the Zoom Forum mentioned the same dislike, saying that the sound is excellent, but they have never fixed the fish eye,

I appreciate you both, as well as others, in trying to get this old guy on a new venture.
Posted by: organgrinder

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/28/22 05:07 AM

Getting back to your original topic, The Tascam recorder, records in wave format. A much better quality than mp3, however, it produces a larger file size because of its much better quality. I would not get rid of it but keep if for the times when highest quality is desired.
MEL

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/28/22 05:49 AM

Couldn't agree more. Clearly nobody's listening to what you're trying to accomplish (except maybe Larry). Our pushing you to create this slick, pro-studio quality video is overkill at best and may even discourage you from trying anything at all. For just posting good-quality, no-frills videos on the 'net for our pleasure, comments, and critiques, only a couple of minor tweaks are really necessary. Since you've already addressed the lighting problem and you're satisfied with the audio, all that's necessary is better video quality and some minor editing.

Your assessment of the Zoom Q2n is spot on; great sound/lousy video. I relegated mine to videotaping my grandson's swim meets but soon replaced it with my GoPro 8 (I now have the new '10' - waste-of-money upgrade). I would replace the Zoom with a 'Consumer quality' dedicated video camera (my little Panasonic 40x zoom, about 2-300.00, takes better video than my Sony A10 which originally cost @ $6k).

The second thing is to use your current video editor to just trim the beginning and end of your videos. Do these two things and I think (but won't guarantee) that you'll get the results you want. If you eventually want better videos, EVOLVE into it, rather than trying to fix everything at once.

BTW, my "free" advice is worth what most free things are worth smile smile.

chas

Re: Tascom DP-01 fx/cd - 05/28/22 09:04 AM

I love it Chas, and hold in high regard every comment you make. Please disregard any previous comments, or then, don't lol.

Mel
Thank you for your advice. I shall take it.