Originally Posted By rikkisbears
wish they’d come up with a set of styles that were more basic.

AGREED! Too much Steve Gadd, and not enough Ringo for my taste.

I used that EZ-8 card in my Pro-E, and E-20, and it was a complete band, just like the the organic patterns on board.
As to Korg busy patterns - yup ... On my 4x (as well as the PA900) I always used one of the programmable switches to mute parts 1-5. I often play with just bass, drums and RH.

Drum patterns are the main reason I started using arrangers in the first place. I always played manual bass, and Rhodes, and carried a drum machine. The arranger combined all three in one. I really prefer basic, simple, generic patterns for almost everything I do live. I use my bass lines, and chord comping to generate the feel I'm going for. I want simple bass, and simple drums, unless it's a swing tune, then I want a swingin', walking bass line, and a drum pattern that lays down the groove without putting too much fluff into it.

The patterns in the Yamaha kept me happy last Saturday at the winery. Solid. Simple. Just what was called for.