This thread triggered my curiosity about V-Console and so I read all that I could find any user reviews / opinion on this software.

After investigating the functionality of this software, I purchased the software only version at £399, or US$546.20.

I use Yamaha Genos as the upper keyboard (USB connected to Windows 10 laptop), 88-key hammer action Casio Privia PX560 as the lower keyboard (USB connected to Windows 10 laptop), and Roland PK5 13-note MIDI pedal as the bass pedal (connected through MIDI cables to irig 2 USB MIDI interface).

I place a 21.5-inch Dell S2240T touchscreen monitor on a standalone music stand at the back of Genos for V-Console display and control:

For some reason, the V-Console software does not like USB MIDI interfaces with multiple MIDI connections. My midiplus 8x8 (8 MIDI ins, 8 MIDI outs) did not work with V-Console program, and so I had to replace it with irig 2 MIDI interface (1 MIDI in, 1 MIDI out, 1 MIDI thru), which works well with V-Console.

My experience with V-Console on the lower keyboard is that V-Console works more reliably with USB connections. I tried a couple of older keyboards with 5-pin MIDI ports only but they did not work well with V-Console. This is why I now use the Casio PX560 due to its USB connection.

The V-Console talks to Genos through USB2 MIDI channel 8, the default MIDI channel for lower keyboard is channel 1, and the MIDI channel for MIDI pedal is channel 3. The Roland PK5 pedalboard has to be set at Poly mode in order to work with V-Console. The MIDI channels for the Genos, the lower keyboard, and the MIDI pedal have to be different even they are connected through different USB / MIDI interfaces.

Since my Lenovo Yoga 720 15.6-inch 2-in-1 laptop has only 2 USB 3.0 ports, I had to use a 7-port USB 3.0 hub for V-Console connections, touchscreen USB connection, and some USB 3.0 flash drives. I found that some USB 3.0 hubs have timing and stuck MIDI notes issues. I am currently using an Anker 7-port USB 3.0 hub which has shown very good timing and no stuck MIDI note issues with V-Console. I use a HooToo USB-C hub with HDMI out to support the display to the Dell S2240T monitor since there is no built-in HDMI out on the Lenovo Yoga 720.

V-Console for Genos not only converts Genos, the lower keyboard, and the MIDI pedal into an organ, it also enhances music contents by providing many more voices on the lower keyboard, which makes playing much more versatile and flexible, with much richer tones. V-Console comes with 16 banks of registrations (each bank contains 10 registrations, each registration contains settings for one particular song) named 'V-Console Showcase' registrations, which are very effective in showcasing its functionality. After playing with V-Console for a couple of hours, I am hooked, and cannot go back to playing with only the Genos.

John Beesley, the developer of V-Console, is an excellent organ / arranger player. He is very patient and responsive in supporting his software. I corresponded with him intensively on some of the V-Console configuration / setup problems, and he has been very helpful.

Currently, I only have 2 issues with V-Console for Genos:
1. The sustain pedals of Genos and PX560 work fine when not using V-Console. They currently do not work from within V-Console. I have contacted John Beeley for suggestion / solution.
2. The V-Console program exits with an error message "Run time error '76': Path not found". I consider this a minor issue.

V-Console for Genos is not cheap at £399, but it greatly enhances the playing of music to a different dimension. I consider this software as the best playing companion software for Genos and I hope John Beesley will keep on enhancing the V-Console software.

Thanks,
Paul

Edited by zionip (10/15/18 11:18 PM)