Eddie at about 15 years old when starting my band The Belmonts (A bit before the famous Belmonts) The Pianist Vocalist only knew a few Fats Domino tunes. The bridge to Blueberry Hill was very complicated to me at the time and he was way off.

My Dad bought me an old upright piano from the VFW for $5. It was out of tune and I had to pay $35 to get it tuned. The tuner said he was afraid to tune it to 440 because it would put too much stress on the board so he tuned it a bit flat. HAHA.

I got the School Band Director alone one day and I asked him what was a chord and how to make a chord. He took me over to the piano and asked me if I could play a C scale on the piano? I played it for him and he says play the 1st, 3rd, and 5th note of the scale and you have a chord. I did that and I was amazed.

I asked him so this B note makes a C7? He said yes that is a Maj 7 but that a b7 was used in music composition too and told me to play the C with the b7. He said you got it. So I asked, this is a 9th, this is a 6th so forth and so on.

He told me to play the 3rd and 5th flat and add the 6th and I had a Dim chord. It didn't take long to figure that there really are just 3 Dim chords sort of. He showed me the aug by raising the 5th. Hey, I'm not a Genius, but we did this in 15, maybe 20 minutes. Anyone playing music no matter what instrument, should have a piano type keyboard and play with this for a bit. It's fun and you learn a hell of a lot more much faster.

I got a fake book and saw that there were lots of b9ths, #9ths etc and figured it out as I went along.

Edited by brickboo (03/12/18 10:04 AM)