Just "food for thought."

I read both of these statements (by Aristotle Onassis) years ago and I modified it to relate to music.

If women didn't exist, all the money in the world would have no meaning.

Without the presence of women in the world, there would be no reason for men to exist

......changed by myself to:

If "audiences" didn't exist, all the "music" in the world would have no meaning.

Without the presence of "audiences" in the world, there would be no reason for "musicians" to exist.

I think about these statements when I think about "why do I play music and beat myself over the head making sure I get maximum practice in every day?

Is it for the paycheck? Is it for recognition? Is it to bolster my self-importance? Is it for status or prestige? Is it to impress my peers? Is it for the adulation from others? Is it for my own listening pleasure? Is it an outlet for creative juices? Is it just something to do as a hobby same as someone might crochet or bowl? Is it to distract others and help them get their minds off their problems? Is it to try and make the world a better place through my music? Is it to please (my) God who gave me the music talent and asks that I use the gift as a conduit for Him?

This is "food for thought" for me because......would I myself find enjoyment in playing and would I continue to practice every day if there was no one to hear me play and no "audiences" to play to? I ask myself that question because audiences for live music are starting to dwindle and so if I can pinpoint the actual reason I'm still playing, then I can readjust my practice sessions accordingly! And maybe free up some time to have a beer and a pizza with friends more often.