Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Some schools no longer have music classes, mainly because of lack of interest.
All the best,
Gary cool

I have to DISagree ... for most schools that no longer have music or art classes it is because no money is allocated for them ... when budgets have to be cut those are the first classes to go ... I have seen many examples both here in RI and in NY where the funds for music classes were cut and student leaders and volunteer staff members kept the programs going for a large number of students ...
Yes, many have their heads in their electronics but there is a great number who take part in arts and music both in and outside of school curriculums ...

Originally Posted By travlin'easy

Most of the local bands I've seen consist mainly of guitar players and a drummer. Usually one of the guitar players sings as well as play rhythm guitar. It's really rare to see any brass, pianos or organs at all.
All the best,
Gary cool

Well, if that's the case in MD, I'm glad to be living in RI, because even the small (duos/trios) that perform at indoor/outdoor bars/restaurants in Newport, Providence and other ares very often will have a keyboard player and even a sax player ... what sometimes is missing is a drummer, because they are using a drum machine of some kind ... the Thursday edition of the statewide news paper has a full page + of listings of where musicians are playing over the weekend and what kind of music they perform ... AND there is NO CHARGE for the listing ... also free of charge, the URI radio station will devote a half hour to forty five minutes a couple of days a week to announce where musicians are performing ...
The LIVE music scene is still going in RI - is it as good as it was 30 years ago when I moved here? - no, but then, everything is different ...