I thought I'd like to share this if you don't mind. It's a major change for me that I was in no way expecting. I've evolved again……I’ve just finished my transition from a musician to an entertainer.

It started six months ago. Been playing this one place for 15-20 years. I play grand piano and the residents sit all around me on couches and soft chairs listening for an hour. This one time, they were remodeling and they put the piano on the stage in the auditorium. I wasn't told about that....giving a performance on a stage with everyone in folding chairs sitting there waiting for the show to begin. In short, I walked into a very unusual, first-time situation!

Well, I amazed myself. I came through with flying colors...did an inpromtu show completely out of my head...no music sheets, no notes, no preparation at all. I didn't realize I had such a knowledge of music in the old cranium waiting to be tapped into…….vocals, jokes, trivia, stories, one-liners, comedy, and a good sense of humor in my traveling bag.

Coincidentally, the very next job turned out to be the same thing. Huge auditorium and now twice as many people. And me there at this beautiful Yamaha Grand feeling like a star. I came through again with the same kind of a show……talking, playing, singing, etc

Afterwards, I thought I would test myself and I just walked into any Senior place I was driving by, introduced myself, and asked (If they had a piano) if they wanted a free show. Of course, the answer was an immediate "yes!" I still can't believe, the entertaining just flowed out of me naturally. I did a half dozen like that. One of the places, the director was there and he told the AD to book me immediately. She gave me five 2018 gigs.

I also discovered what people really want by asking after each performance “how did you like it?” One person summed it all up. He said to me they really enjoyed it....that it was a perfect balance of music, singing, talking, and humor and because I took the time in between songs to tell them the title of the next song, the story behind the song (how it came to be written, etc), hit them with humor (the title of the song used to be “Let Me Call You Street smart, I’m in love with you,” but clever me changed it to what you hear now……”Let Me Call You Sweetheart.” Enough of those corny one-liners easily fills up 60-90 minutes.

I'm thinking I really like this. Being on stage or mixing with the people offstage and suddenly feeling like a star again. Also thinking it doesn't get better than this......not having to lug the equipment around if they have a piano, and if they don't, just bring the accordion and most times I do both...play the piano and then give them a remembrance of what they grew up with...the accordion. And best of all, I don’t have to decide whether I want to buy a Genos or not.

So this just might be the answer to the burn-out I've had these last four years. A new path for me that seems to be kick-starting me out of my lethargy and the industrial strength antidote to the AD problem I’m having lately. Now I feel complete and unique.....I can play, sing, AND entertain. That gives me the edge on many of the other acts, especially with the accordion playing. That kind of plays right into Donny’s “become so good they can’t ignore you!”

So, I started out as an accordionist, then a pianist, then a one-man-band, then a vocalist, then a disc jockey, then a Karaoke artist, back to being a musician, and now.....a Victor Borge type entertainer (though no one could match the Victor!).

My only regret is that this didn’t happen sooner…me knowing this other side of me even existed. But I’m glad I see it now. Just have to figure out what I should do with it. I’m seriously thinking about taking the ball and running with it. Maybe this AD garbage was a blessing in disguise. Like Zuki said…..focus on where you’re appreciated. And with this new talent of mine, I can find more places where “I’m appreciated” and get back into playing regularly again.

Mark