I think the Genos is a mix of new stuff and more of the same from Yamaha. It is still not a "players" keyboard like the Ketron and the Korg. They are missing some key physical controls on the surface. It looks like they removed some controls and put them on the touch screen.

The case also looks like a HOME keyboard design (curved? furniture?) rather than a road warrior design to be gigged with. I noticed the case is a flat black and the one in the Martin Harris videos is already scuffed and scratched on the paint surface.

I will say those Yamaha sounds are amazing. Certainly the guitars are quite stellar and that Pedal Steel guitar has always been one of my favorites. I wasn't very impressed with the organs. You need a good C1-C3 Chorus to get that authentic Hammond Sound and I didn't recall hearing any nor was their any in the T5 that was selectable. The strings, brass, and synth sounds have always been remarkable and with the ensemble function really shine; I wish I had those. I am really critical of drums and I still hear those crappy T5 snare drums. I hope they have added/changed some of those snares to be more contemporary; not just filter them but change the underlying wave samples. The wave stepping is great in theory but I didn't really hear it in action on the limited demos I heard. I'd need to dive into this a bit more.

I also like the Yammy freestyles. In general, the styles are also busier in the 3-4 variations than the Korg styles; sometimes that is very good and sometimes not so good. I'm glad I didn't hear any damn woodblock or tambourine's in the styles. Those drive me crazy. For my taste, I would like to see all styles only have volume levels up for the Bass, Drums, and maybe one guitar or piano accompaniment. They can program the other channels, but leave the volume off so if I want to make the sound fuller, all I have to do is move the volume sliders up instead of the other way around where I have to turn down the busy accompaniment on each style at the start. This is basic song dynamics. The overall sound is still more wet and brighter than the RAW sound of the Korg's.

I do have concerns regarding the implementation of the setlist function and the MP3 Player section. How well are they integrated with they keyboard functions and controls?
Can you import / export setlists? Does it store transpose, vocal harmony settings, mp3/song/style types? Is it as good as the Pa4x implementation which in my opinion is the best on the market. Was it an afterthought or a class leading change?

I also agree Martin Harris is an amazing player. He is so fast; watch as he touches the controls between fast notes/chords! Very smooth and polished.

It looks like a winner for the home players; it remains to be seen if it's worthy of gigging with. It's amazing how far Yamaha have come; from only offering a 61 key version to only a 76 key version. I'm so happy we have Korg around to really drive change and challenge the other manufacturers to innovate!!!

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps