Hi - to add to this ... I adopted use of the iPad some years ago, and have stuck with that. I use the unrealBook app. I like its way of doing things, lots of features that are "musician-friendly". And I love being able to send MIDI commands from unrealBook to my Tyros so that my Tyros loads up the Registration I want for each song. I have ~1300 songs or so, and I have a 'system' so that I play most of them (probably ~900 of them) over a typical year of gigs, so memorizing all of them is not possible for me. For many tunes, the chart is a "quick summary" and I play many "partially from memory", using the chart to remember details or tough sections if any.

I use the 'metadata' (keywords / database) type features of unrealBook a lot too, which help me handle requests for types of music, music by requested singer/writer, music from specific eras, etc. It did take me some time, though, to enter all the metadata. But like the MIDI setup (which took a good amount of time), it's well worth it to make gigs smoother, faster, easier, etc.!

Outdoors can be a problem; luckily I always request some sort of 'tent' or 'cover' for any gigs I book outdoors. So, in partial shade like that, it's "tolerable" although not ideal. Sometimes I have to orient my keyboard a certain way to keep sun/glare off the screen (coming in from the side).

iPad is more expensive than some of these recent tablets people have discovered, but I kind of "went the iPad + unrealBook way" and stick with that ...

If anyone is using this particular combination and wants some help, I'd be glad to help ...

Jim