Russ,
We all come in this life, live, and then pass away. Sometimes, too much time in this Earth is not good at all. She's going to be better remembered by you and whoever wants to remember her (sadly, not her children) the way she is now. Better remembered as lately sick, but not as a slowly (and surely) fading shadow of herself, while in constant pain. I watched my father fade away in this manner in the last three years, no caring person should have this memory.

I don't envy you, you face one of the most difficult decisions one has to make. But my opinion is that this decision is already made by a higher authority, and all you have to do is to act as an administrator, just make it happen. I know that the burden will be the same, though.

If the situation was different, I would probably go for dialysis. But, in these circumstances, if you need to better 'reinforce' the decision that I suspect you have already made, look up the word "enough" in the dictionary. Not 'enough' in the form of what you have done for this family over the years, but 'enough' in the form of 'what else does this poor soul have to suffer to finally have some release?'.

Thanks again, for showing us that aspect of your wonderful and caring soul. I am sure she would (and silently will) thank you too.

Edited by trident (05/15/16 01:51 AM)