Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Boo, part of the problem you are experiencing is you are waiting for them to call YOU! While you're sitting at home waiting for the telephone to ring, someone else is out there beating the streets and getting the jobs. How do you apply for a job by waiting for the person that does the hiring to call YOU? It doesn't work that way. Do you really think that if Frank Sinatra were to come to Colorado to do a stage show that he would take less money than he would take in LA? How many post cards, fliers, calendars, pens, etc... did you send or deliver to the ADs this past year? C'mon, this is a business and you have to treat it as such.

There's a 12 piece band that is out of Baltimore, Zim Zimmerel Orchestra, that gets $2,000 for each appearance. They're booked solid and don't use agents. However, they do a lot of legwork, I see their PR/salesman all the time, while he's out there pounding the pavement seeking out new venues. They have performed at the white house on several occasions, and guess what, they also do special events at nursing homes and assisted living center. They get the same fee at all locations.

Granted, there are some locations in the nation that don't have big budgets for musical entertainment. But, they DO have a budget, and those that do the work to get in the door early will get the lion's share of the budget. Those that do not do the legwork, those that sit around and wait for the phone to ring, will get little or none of that budget. I was the first person in this are to book jobs a year in advance with the ADs. They had never done this before, some didn't even have next year's calendar, and they were elated when I handed them an appointment wall calendar and pen, both of which had my name and telephone number imprinted upon them. Armed with the calendar and pen, there was no reason not to book ME a year in advance.

Now, you could be the best jazz musician on the planet, but if you're not a good entertainer you will not get repeat business. You have to, as DNJ always says, "have the goods." You need to provide the entire package. You have to provide a vast array of music, plus top quality vocals, and it has to be seamless entertainment with little or no dead time between songs. You need to look like an entertainer, dress appropriately and act appropriately by schmoozing with the residents, staff and ADs alike. I have two dozen satin shirts, matching ties, and beautiful silk vests that are just for performances. I get lots of great comments from ADs and residents alike about my attire. If you both look and act professional and provide what the audience wants to hear, you can command top pay in the field.

Back to business. I also provide all my clients, both private and commercial, with a professional invoice. I also provide them with a W-9 form that is signed and dated. For every new client, I provide them with a contract, and after booking the job(s) I mail them a confirmation of appearance letter. This is a business and handshake deals just don't cut it. Do you think Captain Russ conducts his business with just a handshake when he makes a commercial?

Get off your ass and go to work promoting this as a business venture - it's a tried and true technique that every successful business utilizes.

Gary cool

clap wink keys cool2

Edited by Dnj (10/31/15 07:45 AM)