The last few threads on chord structure, crowds, equipment got me thinking...

I'm 66. I started playing in bands at age 16 but it's only been in the last year that I started doing a solo act, and doing that with an instrument that really is new to me...the keyboard.

This got me to start asking myself, what are the things that are important to me now?

I know, for instance, that I'm gigging about as much as I can handle right now. However, I'm not making as much as I think I can per gig just yet.

So to make more per gig(on average), I think I need to focus on broadening my venues. Right now, my main focus is seniors...assisted living places etc. Income though is limited at these places with one hour gigs around $50 an hour(and up)to the best groups.

Parties, dances and resorts are seasonal but pay more.

So, what should my plan be to improve income? Here's what I came up with in order of importance.

(1) Advertising, getting the word out. YouTube, Facebook, personal contacts. Gary had good ideas here.

(2) expanding my repertoire, to do a broader range of music. Right now I'm doing mostly music from the 40's, 50's and some 60's. Country music is big here and goes over well...need to do more of that.

If there's anything I've found out from friends in music, it's that folks remember if you do songs they like. They generally don't seem to care how well they are done..just concerned that they hear the songs they like.

(3) Good interaction with the crowd(entertaining). I do pretty well here, at least that's the feedback I get. Still there's room for improvement with crowd involvement etc.

(4) Keep equipment that gives me the most flexibility. That doesn't always mean the best equipment. I'm finding that even my musical friends don't hear much difference when I use my PSR S970 vs the Tyros 4 I have.

I'm not sure about a light show...probably a bigger deal for DJ's.

So here's the start of my list as I try to build this solo business.

Your thoughts?

cool2

Edited by guitpic1 (10/30/15 11:11 AM)