I agree with Bill - quality vocals are a must in order to demand the higher pay scale.

A couple things that came to mind include: Keep in mind that most nite club and restaurant entertainers work an average of 3 to 4 hours a night, and some work up to 5 hours a night on Friday and Saturday nights, for an average pay of $150 to $175, and that's pretty much the same rate of pay nationwide for OMBs and duos. So, that $50 an hour you are currently pulling down isn't any less than working the nite club or restaurant circuit. Of course, working the senior circuit, you usually work weekdays, middle of the day (no traffic jams to contend with), have weekends off for the family things, and no getting home at 3 a.m., driving home with the drunks and dodging deer. All those things are a big plus.

Now, in order to move that pay scale up on the senior circuit, this must be done gradually, which is what most of us that currently command the higher rates have done. We all started out at $50 per hour (some less) and over the span of a decade or more, increased our rates to where we are today. When I went from $100 an hour to $125 an hour, a lot of folks on this forum said I would probably lose lots of jobs. In reality, that did not happen. In fact, the reverse happened. I guess some of the new ADs thought that because I cost more, I must be much better than the guy that only charged $50. Fortunately, in most instances, and I'm not being conceited, I was a better entertainer and people person, while in many cases, they were likely better musicians. Those things do make a difference.

The few places that said they could not afford to pay $125 per hour for a performance once a month, I told them to cut back to every other month in order to be able to retain me on their schedule, yet still stay within their budget constraints. In many instances, they did this for about 6 months, then went back to having me perform every month again.

Private parties: I only perform at one or two private parties a month, which is fine. I charge the same rate for them, with a $500 minimum. No one has ever balked about the fee in all the years I've been playing. So, that 4-hour private party pays $125 an hour, same rate as the assisted living center, nursing home and retirement community. This keeps everyone happy.

One of the big advantages of being an OMB entertainer and singer performing the senior circuit is you get to do do lots of 50th anniversaries, birthdays, wedding vow renewals, and most of them come in the form of referrals from the locations where you regularly entertain. Some of the events even take place at those locations, which makes it even better because you are aware of where to set up, and what PA system to use for that particular venue. In some instances, the AD of the facility will take care of pretty much everything, including paying your fee from a special budget.

Every year, the assisted living centers, nursing homes and retirement communities usually hold what they refer to is Open House, a day when they try to attract new clientele. They often have an open buffet that is catered, free drinks and musical entertainment. Talk with the ADs about when they will be doing this and you can usually land a nice job for that day. They also have special, seasonal events, Halloween parties, strawberry festival, wine tasting parties (sponsored by a local vineyard), October Fest, Christmas Party, and of course a New Year's Eve party. All of these provide you with more and more opportunities to play.

The secret to success with the above events is to go to the facilities, set up a meeting with the AD, and take a couple of calendars with you, one for them, and one for you. Some free pens go a long way, too. Now, sit down with them and book all your dates for the upcoming year - it's that easy. In most instances, they love to book a year in advance, simply because that makes life a lot easier for them if they don't have to worry about who's going to provide the next months entertainment. It also provides you with a job every month of the upcoming year.

One of the advertising post cards I send out says "15 REASONS TO CELEBRATE!

Then I list the following on the back of the card:

1. March - Saint Patrick's Day
2. April - Easter
3. May - Cinco de Mayo
4. May - Mother's day
5. May - Armed Forces Day
6. June - Father's Day
7. June - Flag Day
8. July - Independence Day (July 4th)
9. September - Grandparents Day
10. September - Patriot Day
11. October - Columbus Day
12. October - Halloween
13. November - Thanksgiving Day
14. December - (all month) Christmas Parties
15. December - New Year's Eve

As you can plainly see, there are at least another 45 days of jobs you can pick up just using this list. I had the cards printed by Vista Print, and they cost next to nothing to have printed and shipping was free. Then it's just a matter of mailing the cards out to perspective clients, then following up with a phone call and a visit. Worked like a charm. On an average year, I performed at least 28 to 30 Christmas parties during the month of December, and most years, at least 2 New Year's Eve parties, one during mid day, then my regular, 4-hour NYE gig the same evening. The day NYE party usually only lasted a couple hours and I was done before suppertime.

Saint Patrick's Day, at one time was the most sought after date on the calendar. Sometimes, I would book 4 to 5 Saint Paddy's parties during that week. I have a couple green vests and matching bow ties just for the occasion. smile Now, when performing for Saint Patrick's day, a dozen Irish tunes is more than enough to keep everyone happy. They are mixed in with your regular routine, which is why they hired you in the first place. And, of course, the rate of pay is the same as any other day.

I sincerely hope this will help, Ron and you will book many, many more jobs at a higher rate of pay.

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (10/30/15 12:44 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)