Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis

Ian

I'm a player too and pretty good I think. In a perfect world where I could pick and choose my gigs I wouldn't DJ either. I find it boring. However when they request the Cha Cha Slide or Good Girl what would you do, start searching for the right Style and sing it ?
Its the business nowadays and there are very few real players working anymore. Its all MP3 backrounds with some live (usually mot so good singing ) over it. Most parties people just want a DJ to dance to. Even the NH are getting DJ's.
I didn't make the rules, I'm just trying to play the game.

I gotcha Bill...but, I don't intend to DJ.

I agree, it is boring as hell, but I suppose if you like it, and hone the skills to a nice edge,, it probably could be lucrative and fun.

I'll leave it to those far more qualified than me...I honestly don't have the heart for it.

I get hired as a player, and they are the only jobs I do. I'm not being inflexible...I just know what I really want to do, and what I am good at, that's all. I'm a decent player, and I also know my limitations.

There's lots of work to be had as a player, whether I'm doing restaurant music, making recordings with another singer/musician, playing on stage, either solo, or backing up a singer/guitarist.

But, I see your point, and it's well understood.

Ian