I think I better answer this one before ED decides to cos I know he'd just love to

Even if you were to use your stereo speakers you'd still need to plug the keyboard into the stereo amp that the speakers are connected to. That would work as long as you are just using it at relatively low volumes unless your stereo is at least 100 Watts but preferably much more. The average home stereo has not the power for using in a live band situation. But it would work fine for home use. You would need to get an adapter to convert your keyboard output to RCA connectors so you could plug it into the AUX inputs on the back of your stereo amp. If it is just for home use then you could use the Crate at a relatively low volume to avoid distortion and damaging your speakers. Because the Crate is designed for high impedance instruments like electric guitars it isn't the ideal amp for a keyboard but it would work in a pinch. Just don't try and push a bass heavy signal through it because that won't sound good and could possibly be bad for the speakers. That's why bass players use bass amps also.

When I rehearse with my band I don't drag a separate keyboard amp with me and I just run a MONO output from my keyboard through my guitar amp that I play guitar through as well when I'm not on keys. But we aren't very loud ( the drummer uses a Roland V-Drums kit ) and I don't push the keyboard level high at all. But although it does work for low level rehearsal I'd never choose to try it live. I run it through a 200 Watt powered PA box at gigs and even that is having to be run pretty high.

What sort of situation are you going to be using it in ie. with a drummer, bass player and guitarist ? If it is with a live band you really will have to come up with another alternative. If you could find a cheap powered PA cabinet then that would work and could handle the range of frequencies that a keyboard creates. I only suggest that because you are more likely to find one of those cheap rather than a true keyboard amp.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-24-2005).]