Which amp for microKORG?

Posted by: bthmedicinetree

Which amp for microKORG? - 09/22/05 02:31 PM

Hey, new to the board.
I recently bought a microKORG but couldnt afford a keyboard amp with it, I already have 2 guitar amps and I would like to know which one is more appropriate for the keyboard.
The two amps are:

Crate 120w with two 12" speakers solid state

Vox 30w half tube half solid state amp (surprisingly loud) with 1 10" speaker

Which one is safer to use (so I dont end up blowing any speakers) and will sound best?
thanks
Posted by: TheSonicEnergyAuthority

Re: Which amp for microKORG? - 09/22/05 05:57 PM

Congrats on your new purchase...

I would go with the Crate 120W with the 2X 12" drivers.
Neither amp will do the Korg justice!
A keyboard amp would be a safer option.
Guitar's do not have that much in the bottom end hence your other amp being surprising loud with a 10" speaker, soon as your Korg goes thought it the speaker starts flapping around, and before you know it - phut! One dead driver.

Use the Crate for now, but be careful with the level. Get a better amp as soon as you can.
If you only plan to use at home, or within a studio then you should get by with your Hi-Fi, or monitor speakers.
If planning on going live, a dedicated keyboard amp is recommended.
(BTW - before synth players had keyboard amps they would use bass amps and add a piezo tweeter to give some top end. The big drivers coupled with a meaty amp handled the low end their synths generated.)

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

Re: Which amp for microKORG? - 09/23/05 03:58 AM

K, so i guess ill use the crate for now. how about my stereo speakers, will they work instead?
Posted by: 3351

Re: Which amp for microKORG? - 09/23/05 09:43 AM

Hello!
What do I see? Another crazy wild guitar kid trying to connect his new synth to a guitar amp? Tried playing it with the pick too?

Just kidding. Most of us here play guitars too. I only own about 20 right now. That's counting my daughter's new guitar...

Okay,
Since most synths require a high quality stereo connection you will need to use stereo speakers. Ideally you should have a mixer and a pair of self powered professional speakers BUT you can get by with using your home Hi-Fi.

-ED-

Re: Which amp for microKORG? - 09/23/05 07:49 PM

hmmm...my stereo speakers have a red and black wire on the back of each one, how the heck does that connect to the microkorg? is thre some kind of adapter I need? i would get a keyboard amo im just totally out of cash, its either the guitar amp or the stereo speakers
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Which amp for microKORG? - 09/24/05 01:16 AM

I think I better answer this one before ED decides to cos I know he'd just love to

Even if you were to use your stereo speakers you'd still need to plug the keyboard into the stereo amp that the speakers are connected to. That would work as long as you are just using it at relatively low volumes unless your stereo is at least 100 Watts but preferably much more. The average home stereo has not the power for using in a live band situation. But it would work fine for home use. You would need to get an adapter to convert your keyboard output to RCA connectors so you could plug it into the AUX inputs on the back of your stereo amp. If it is just for home use then you could use the Crate at a relatively low volume to avoid distortion and damaging your speakers. Because the Crate is designed for high impedance instruments like electric guitars it isn't the ideal amp for a keyboard but it would work in a pinch. Just don't try and push a bass heavy signal through it because that won't sound good and could possibly be bad for the speakers. That's why bass players use bass amps also.

When I rehearse with my band I don't drag a separate keyboard amp with me and I just run a MONO output from my keyboard through my guitar amp that I play guitar through as well when I'm not on keys. But we aren't very loud ( the drummer uses a Roland V-Drums kit ) and I don't push the keyboard level high at all. But although it does work for low level rehearsal I'd never choose to try it live. I run it through a 200 Watt powered PA box at gigs and even that is having to be run pretty high.

What sort of situation are you going to be using it in ie. with a drummer, bass player and guitarist ? If it is with a live band you really will have to come up with another alternative. If you could find a cheap powered PA cabinet then that would work and could handle the range of frequencies that a keyboard creates. I only suggest that because you are more likely to find one of those cheap rather than a true keyboard amp.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 09-24-2005).]
Posted by: 3351

Re: Which amp for microKORG? - 09/24/05 07:11 AM

You're a classic man.
"...out of money and all I've got is like this tuner thing, a beer bottle and a lighter. How do you play an E-chord on this Korg thing?". LOL

Too bad Nigel already wrote what I wanted to. But I'd go with his suggestion.
A 1/4"" to RCA converter is usually all you really need to connect your KB to the home hi-fi.
Another alternative would be to go to either Radio Shack or Future Shop (or whatever you have where you live. Any music store wil be ideal but if you haven't got one nearby go to the Radio Shack) and pick up some simple 1/4"" to RCA cables. You wil need two. Left and Right. That would only work of coarse if your speakers connect to an amp (or a receiver as they call them).
If your speakers didn't come with their own receiver (or an amp as they call it ) then you will need to get one.

I wouldn't at all recommend using your guitar amp for the Korg since both were made for different purposes. If you had some old mono analog synth then I'd say connect to anything under the sun. However, Microkorg is an analog modeling synth that is entirely digital and should connect to either a mixer or a home hi-fi.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 09-24-2005).]