Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
[quote=bruno123]an arranger/keyboard "more like an arranger/keyboard "user", in my opinion.

Ian

More like an "Arranger KB Controller" I would say is we are & do,......operating PRE programed Styles and Sequences is what is being done with these machines, lets be real here shall we?

I guess it's down to how you define "keyboard playing" Donny...in my opinion, it means fingers actually pressing keys that make sounds, whether playing along with a midi file or a style or playing piano or B-3 either solo or with a band.

Pressing "Play" on the sequencer and singing over it (or even playing another non-keyboard instrument) is fine, and I have no problem with that...but, I just don't feel think it constitutes someone calling themselves a keyboardist/keyboard player/arranger player.

An "entertainer", perhaps, but not a keyboard player.

"Being real" (as in being a "keyboardist") or not depends on if one is really "playing" keys.

I'm sure that there are performers who combine simply singing over a commercial midi-file and also play the keyboard along with a certain percentage of the setlist, but I'm not talking about those people...I'm talking about those who don't play the keys at all.

Ian