The problem with what you just said, Diki, is that up until the sequencers and arrangers, everything was played by the player in real time. One string or a dozen, the player still played every note. You sound as if the audience has NO RIGHT to know whether you're playing it or faking it. I disagree. I DO think there is such a thing as artistic integrity. My father used to say (mostly to women), "If you got something, show it; if you ain't got nothing, SHOW THAT".

While I DO agree that it's what YOU play that's important, I am not ready to write off musical honesty as a virtue and that "as long as it pleases the crowd", it's acceptable. This is not being elitist or a purist or any of the other labels people put on you if you dare disagree with their opinion. This is simply what I believe and just because you may be able to articulate your point better, doesn't necessarily make it more valid. If lip syncing was so acceptable, then why all the hullabaloo and scandal over Milli Vanilli? Obviously, SOMEbody didn't think it was OK.

I said before that I have no problem listening to a good player playing over a SMF or an arranger backing (so I don't think that qualifies me as a "pompous judge"). I already said how much I enjoyed that funk jam with Marco Parisi that you put up. But he is a great player and the parts he was playing were quite obvious. The problem I have is the opportunity for deception, especially in live situations where it's near impossible to tell who is playing what (or even IF). Then there is the fact that you are NOT interacting with other musicians in real time, making it impossible to get the kind of true "live" feel that only a live band can transmit.

Sure there are times and circumstances where "compromise" is appropriate, but I don't think we should ever allow ourselves to be comfortable with it or accept it as the norm. JMO and NO, I don't insist that everyone agree with it or that MY logic and sensibilities are on a higher plane than their's. It's JUST MY OPINION.

chas