Scott,

I had tennis elbow twice (Tendonitis). One time I had it so bad in my wrist that when I moved it you could touch me and you'd swear that there was gravel grinding in there. Many bricklayers suffer this from the repetitive motions of laying brick. It is common.

I got a cortisone shot each time. The incidences were a few years apart and it was more then 20 or so years ago. Not one problem since then. When I got the shot for the first incident, I wanted to beat the doctor up. It does hurt, as they put the shot right into the affected area. The two next times I knew what to expect.

In detail, this is what I experienced. The shot actually made it hurt worst for some time. But, and this is a big BUT, all three times within 24 hours the pain was completely gone. I went right back laying brick each time with no problems what so ever.

As I said, it happened again in different areas a couple of years later… Keep in mind also that I laid brick for another 15+ years without any problems.

If I were you, I would go yesterday to my doctor and do this. Do not let it linger. It could get worst and the months of therapy if not years will not fix it in 24 hours.

I think Cortisone gets a bad wrap from experiences like those that a close friend of mine had. However, he had to have shots very often and had them for over fifty years running. He died at 72 a couple of years ago. He suffered from Rheumatoid Arthritis. His bones eventually got weak and brittle.

Scott do not let anyone tell you different. No one’s bones are going to get weak and brittle from a couple dozen cortisone shots in their lifetime not to mention just a few shots in a lifetime. I would not hesitate to have more cortisone shots if the need arose again.

Some things in doctoring and medicine does work like a miracle. I guarantee you Cortisone is a miracle cure. You'd have to work hard to abuse it friend.
Take care!